Should smoking in public be illegal.

Should smoking in public be legal? I think smoking in public should be illegal. Not only does it have serious health risks to both smokers and non-smokers, but it also contributes to air pollution and creates an unpleasant  environment for everyone. By making smoking in public illegal, we can protect the health of individuals and have a cleaner environment.

There are lots of benefits of getting rid of smoking in public. To start, it would reduce the exposure of non-smokers to secondhand smoke, which has been a cause of various health problems like heart disease, and lung cancer. Also it would stop young people from starting smoking by limiting their exposure to it in public spaces, which could lead to a decrease in the number of smokers.It can also be rude to have people be smoking in public places. When people go through the scooters drive thru when they're smoking the cigarette smoke seeps into the building and it smells gross. In the scooters drive thru smoking is banned because its privately owned property and there's no smoking on the premises.

Making smoking in public illegal would help to create cleaner air and reduce pollution. Cigarette smoke contains lots of harmful chemicals that can contribute to air pollution, which affects not only human health but also the quality of our air. By making this a law, we can move towards a cleaner future. 

Do you think smoking should be illegal?

Have you ever seen someone smoking in public and what did you think about it?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/31/cigarettes-tobacco-smoking-sales-ban 

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/health_effects/index.htm 

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/index.htm 

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prevention/tobacco/health-risks-of-tobacco/secondhand-smoke.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice Tobi! This was posted very late. Be sure to tell the history of how states have cracked down on smoking in certain places over the years.

• I think it would be a great idea to ban smoking in public. The problem with this would be difficulty in passing and enforcing a law. If this was a law it would be very beneficial for those who smoke, as well as people who are affected by second hand smoke.

• In my personal opinion I do not think it should be illegal. But we do need to protect innocent people who do not want to smoke from secondhand smoke. Wether it is the person who is smoking, or the person inhaling seconhand smoke they both have very many negative effects on people. 

• In my opinion I think it should be illegal to protect those non-smokers from secondhand smoke. Those people smoking in public can have harmful concecuenses especially for children,pregnant women, and those with respiratory conditions.

• I think that smoking should be illegal. Anytime I'm around an area that smells like someone smoked it makes me feel sick and makes it hard to breathe. It could also be a hazard to non-smokers who have asthma and other issues.

• I agree with you, It stinks and nobody wants to be around the smell.

•  Smoking in public should be illegal. If you want to smoke, go somewhere private. I think that it would over all improve public quality. Clear, smoke free air in public definitely help. When I see someone smoking in public, it kind of seems trashy. Smoke in the air can even lower the quality of your experience if you're on vacation.

• No i think its fine outside, but inside i think they should go to jail for, also i think that people who smoke is their choice and should be allowed to do what they want. I personally think smoking is bad but i dont care if someone else does it.

• No i don't think that smokinfg in public should be illegal do i think there should be a place where people can go to smoke away from everyone else yes but at the ened of the day we live in a free country where people can smoke whever they want no matter the affects.

• I wish it was illegal to smoke in most public areas. A lot of people feel weird about being around smokers and they don't want to inhale that smoke. For me personally, it seems disrespectful for someone to be smoking outside of a store. I feel like for sure there needs to be a law to limit most public spaces from smoking.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker