Should Smoking Cigarettes Be Banned?

Cigarettes are a thin cylinder of cut tobacco rolled in paper for smoking. They can lead to many different consequences that could eventually lead to troubles. There are many reasons why cigarettes are dangerous, but the main one is that it can lead to lung cancer. Cigarettes can also lead to other diseases, for example, heart diseases, and diabetes.

People think that cigarettes should be banned due to the harm they cause. If they smoke in public it could end up harming people around them. Smoking is one of the leading causes of preventable deaths around the world. It is linked to a lot of diseases, lung cancer being among them. Approximately 127,070 lives are lost annually in just the U.S. due to lung cancer. Heart diseases are also another consequence that could end up happening if you smoke. About 695,000 people die of heart disease in the U.S. annually. Another major illness that people can get due to smoking is diabetes. Around 1.5 million people die from this illness per year. Thus, so many people get diagnosed of different illnesses that can be linked to smoking.

There are also other people who think that smoking should not be banned. They think it shouldn't be banned because they should be able to have the freedom to choose wether they want to smoke or not. They believe that since it is their body they should be able to do what they want with it, even if it means harming it. If smoking did get banned it would not just affect the people that are addicted to smoking, but it would also affect the tobacco industry. The tobacco industry is one of the big contributors to our economy. If it got banned many people would lose their jobs and would be jobless.

I think that there should definitely be some restrictions when it comes to promoting cigarettes. I also think that people should not be allowed to smoke in public places where children could be around. Smoking around children for a long time could end up harming them. 

Questions:

Should smoking be banned?

Should there be certain restrictions?

Sources:

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/risk_factors.htm#:~:text=Cigarette%20smoking%20is%20the%20number,the%20risk%20for%20lung%20cancer.

https://languages.oup.com/google-dictionary-en/

https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/sites/default/files/2020-06/m17_6.pdf

https://www.who.int/health-topics/diabetes#tab=tab_1

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Exacty. If it can't be banned there should be way more restrictions that people should follow.

• I think smoking should be banned because it does not do any good for the people who smoke or other people around people who smoke. It is only harming you and exposing you to sicknesses like cancer and other deadly viruses.

• I think smoking should be banned because it can cause lung cancer and other illnesses. The restrictions right now on smoking is good but age limit should be 25-30 years old.

• I think smoking should be banned, it does more harm than good. It becomes an addiction and can ruin your life. There should be restrictions if not it being banned. It should only be available to people over 30. It's so easy nowadays to get cigarettes, it shouldn't be that way. 

• I do not think smoking is good at all and I think it should be banned.  I think that their should be restrictions if it is not banned because their is no positive benifets.

• I think smoking should be banned but will it? Probably not. I don't think there would be any restrictions that would stop people from smoking.

• I personally do not think that smoking cigerettes should be banned. Although there are many negative effects as a result of doing so. I think that there should only be certain places that permit smoking. I think it should be up to the person and not the country if they want to smoke or not at a legal age. 

• I think that smoking should be banned because there are so many negative effects on the smoker, and the people around the smoker. People around the smoker can still get second-hand smoke exposure which can also harm them. I think there should definitely be restrictions for smoking so it doesn't harm other people like little kids and people of high risk health conditions. 

• Many people don't understand that even if you are around someone that is smoking, you could also get hurt.

• I think that smoking should be banned because it is bad for the people who smoke and it is bad for people around smokers and second hand smoke. I understand why people don't want smoking to be banned, but I think it should be. Many industries have been shut down before and the economy was fine, I think they will be okay.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker