Some people say that cell phones are a distraction in class which could be true and that they prevent socialization. But then there are some people that disagree with it because parents want to be able to track their children and/or check in with them just to make sure they’re safe or just how they're doing.

A School in Florida has recently banned cell phones and made it so students can’t have their phones so sometimes students have to go to the office just to ask if they can check their phones. But some parents weren’t happy saying that their kids should be able to contact them during their free periods. But then there were some good reasons for the ban such as kids filming things in the bathrooms that they called, “Toilet TikToks”, and that students are more talkative and making more eye contact.

I think that there are good and bad reasons for the cell phone ban, because like it said before, banning cell phones can probably help improve socialization. But not banning cell phones can be good because if students still have their cell phones, they can contact their parents or cops if there's ever an emergency.

Do you think schools should ban cell phones?

Should you be able to have your phone on you in class?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/technology/florida-school-cellphone-tiktok-ban.html

https://fordhaminstitute.org/national/commentary/should-schools-ban-cellphones

https://theglobalscholars.com/should-smartphones-be-banned-in-school-the-pros-and-cons/#:~:text=The%20Pros%20of%20Smartphones%20in%20School&text=Students%20are%20able%20to%20contact,kidnappings%2C%20accidents%2C%20and%20assaults.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think schools should ban cell phones because although they can be a distraction they can also be useful for many things. I don't think you should have your phones in class unless the teacher is fine with it or unless its like a free class.

• i think they shouldnt. if schools where to ban cell phones how would students be ably to contact there parents or be ably to check there classes when they switch fro the term. i think we should be allowed to atleast have them on use in class and not have to put them up. 

• I think that schools should not ban cell phones because students should be able to communicate with their family if there is an emergency. I think phones should be put away in bags during class so they are not a distraction to students. 

• I dont think that they should ban phones because if they were to do that the teacher would be taking phones left and right because of a new rule. i think you shoud lbe able to have your phone and be trusted with it, if you are taking a test i think you shoudl turn it in. 

• I dont think we should ban phones becuase its a personal item and having somthing to do during school and other activities. i dont think we should because of all of being  immature like using apps and being off task and not getting work done 

• I don't think schools should ban cell phones completely, however I think they should put some rules in place to limit the phone access. For example, our school has phone cubbies, but most teachers don't enforce it, so there is no point to them. Teachers should make rules about cell phones, and give punishments if kids don't listen.

• I personally think that schools should not ban cell phones because they are our personal item and they shouldn't ban it. I think that students should be mature and keep them away when it is time for class. I always just leave it in my bad.

• Cell Phones should be banned because people can cheat without any teachers knowing and the students trying to A a test or an assignments. No it should be somewhere else than being by you.

• I don't think that schools should ban cell phones because they can be vital means of communication in some households. I think that having phones on you in class is different and should be decided by the school/teachers. Most are fine with it as long as it is not too distracting.

• I think that schools should help raise students that are responsible enough to use their phones wisely. Phones should be required to be in students bags during class and can be taken away if caught out of them. Students should be able to handle putting away their phones for 45 minutes.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker