Should Prohibition be reinforced?

What is Prohibition? Prohibition is the banning of  making and selling alcohol. It was a constitutional amendment passed January 16, 1919. This amendment was set right after the ending of World War One. Domestic abuse rates were at an alltime high being one of the main  reasons prohibition was being enforced. The 1920’s was known to be one of the best times in history to live. However the 1920’s was the only time in history without alcohol (unless illegal). Drinking alcohol has many pros and cons.

Drinking is known to be only associated with a bad point of view. Nevertheless, drinking does have its pros. According to Harvard.edu, if you are in good condition, moderate drinking is shown to be good for your heart and circulatory system. Some people use drinking as a coping mechanism. Although drinking is not the best coping mechanism it eases your nervous system causing a sedated effect. Drinking also has its side effects which can give a not-so-good outcome.

Drinking may be fun, but it comes with its side effects. Drinking can cause severe liver disease, cancer, and severe memory loss. During the banning of alcohol, people still found ways to have fun without it. Alcohol leads to weight gain. Alcohol is considered a drug because of how addictive it can be. Alcohol can feel like it's easing your anxiety but in reality it is raising your stress rates. Drinking can also be a big cause of abnormal sleep schedules. Is drinking really worth the risks? 

Should we prohibit alcohol again? As I was saying before, the 1920’s being the only time without alcohol was also the happiest point in history. Before Prohibition domestic abuse rates skyrocketed and now, domestic abuse still takes place because of alcohol. Is alcohol really a good thing? Alcohol also has health benefits and concerns. Although there are slight health benefits of it there are also large health concerns. In my opinion I do not think we should prohibit alcohol again but I do think it would be smart to monitor alcohol use in america.

Should we Prohibit alcohol again?

Do you think drinking is worth the risks?

Do you think you could live during prohibition? 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2730732/#:~:text=Alcohol%20induces%20euphoria%2C%20relaxation%2C%20and,et%20al.%2C%202005). 

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materials/united-states-history-primary-source-timeline/progressive-era-to-new-era-1900-1929/prohibition-case-study-of-progressive-reform/#:~:text=In%201918%2C%20Congress%20passed%20the,behavior%20soon%20ran%20into%20trouble

https://mountainside.com/blog/alcohol/10-reasons-not-to-drink-alcohol/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think it should be prohibited because there are just so many people who would be against it in today's world. I think if it was prohibited again it would lead to major protests and things could get out of hand fast.

• I agree, I do not think alcohol should be prohibited again because it would make a lot of people mad in todays society. I think with the protests now there would be more protest with the new prohibtrion. I think that things to get out of hand fast.

• I don't think it should be prohibited again. There were more dangers with it being illegal than legal due to the added crime because people refuse to give it up, or they want to make money off of it. I think it would be easy for me to live during prohibition.

• I agree and I do not think alcohol should be prohibitied again. There was many dangers with prohibtion and many problems. I agree that they won't give it up because they want to make money off of it.

• No I don't think that alcohol should be banned. I think that it might be a good thing for people that are super addicted but I also think that if it does get banned there will be more problems with people trying to sell it privatly. 

• I agree, I do not think that alcohol should be banned, but monitored. I agree that it would be a good thing for people who are strongly addicted to alcohol. I think that if it does get banned mroe problems will come over solutions.

• Personally I think that prohibition was not helping anything. It caused worse problems then it solved. It caused gangsters and outlaws to make and sell alcohol. However drinking is not worth the risk, theres a lot of alternitives. 

• I disagree, I think prohibtion did help some people. I do agree that it made more problems than it solved. It did cause bootleggers to illigally sell alcohol. I agree that drinking is not worth the risk and there are so many alteratives.

• I don't think prohibition should be enforced although I do think it could be a good thing. I don't think people these days would handle it well because many people don't want to go a day without drinking. But I do think it could be a good thing if people could be more responsible thesedays.

• I agree I do not think prohibtion should be reinenforced. I think it could be a good thing for the addictive people. I agree that people today would not go over well if we made that a law. I agree people need to be more responsible.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker