Should Homework Be Banned?

Recent studies show that highschool students have doubled the amount of time they spend on homework since 1990, and the question about weather or not we should ban homework is not new. In 2017, a Florida superintendent banned homework for all elementary students, and the United States isn't the only country to question the benefits of it.  There are many pros and cons to homework, but I think we can all agree it will probably not get banned anytime soon.

One major reason people want to ban homework is that it negatively impacts the mental health of the students. They want to give kids a chance to develop hobbies and live their lives, without the burden of homework. Recently, two Utah schools banned homework and the results are significant. Psychologist refferals for anxiety decreased by 50%, showing how much stress homework puts on children. In upper grades like middle and highschool, homework is more beneficial if done correctly. However, most teachers aren't taught how to assign it, so it ends up just being busy work instead of beneficial. 

Those in support of homework say that it helps get students ready for college, and helps to reinforce what they learned at school. It teaches students how to manage their time and how to prioritize certain things.  Homework also benefits the teachers, showing them what their students know or what needs to be taught again. It helps parents of younger kids know what is being taught at school, and gives them a chance to help their child with learning. In all, it teaches students to plan, to stay organized, and to be prepared for the real world.

https://www.weareteachers.com/should-we-ban-homework/

Do you think homework should be banned?

Do you think elementary school aged students should be getting homework?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you that homwork can be beneficial practice.

• I do think student get a lot of homework and that it can sometimes be very stressful trying to get everything done by the deadline. I don't think homework should be banned but just so we are not given so much at a time. I think that sometime homework can be beneficial as long as you acually know what your doing and are trying.

• Personally, I don't think homework should be banned but it should be very limited so students don't have to struggle as much mental health-wise. It makes sense for elementary kids to also have homework because it teaches them basics like responsibility, although they really shouldn't have too much of it because they are still kids.

• I believe that homework should be banned because it takes away time outside of school for kids who either work or deal with other family memebers. Having certain times in the day for schooling is obvious, but for teachers and the Board to tell us we need to do an assignment outside of school hours and property is not logical.

• I don't think that homework should be banned yes sometimes it is unnecessary but most times it can help keep things that you've learned and serve as a practice. I do think that elementary school aged students should get homework because it could help them remember things they learned

• I don't think homework should be banned. I think in some cases it helps you to understand a topic or to practice it. I think that there should be just a certain amount and not having homework from a lot of classes. I think elementary school students should have homework but not a ton.

• I agree with you that there should be a limit on the amount of homework

• I think homework should be banned becuase first of all it is pointless and secondly its not benifical when you could be doing better things out side of school. I dont think elementary kids should get it either becuase there brains are fully develped 

• I can't really choose whether or not I would want homework banned. It is hard because homework creates a more efficient personality. It also allows an individual to learn how to manage their time. On the other hand, homework can be very stressful. I have been way too stressed over homework, but it sometimes teaches me a good lesson.

• I agree with you that homwork can get overwhelming and stressful.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker