Should Health Care be Free?

Health care is something that all people need starting from when they're first born. The United States has already given some citizens universal health care but the Government is working on expanding it to everyone. The Government wants to use a national health insurance, this will use public insurance to pay for private practice insurance. If this idea does go though it will make it so that every citizen has to pay into the national insurance plan. Another idea that the Government had was making it so that wealthier families would have more money taken out of their taxes to pay for higher medical bills that some families can't afford. The Government can always lower the medical costs but they would rather leave it the way it is.

Medicare is the medical insurance that people 65 and older or younger people with disablilites use. Medicad provides health insurance for eligible low-income adults, children, pregnant women, elderly adults and people with disabilities. Many people think that if the Government can provide universal health care for up to 50% of the population, they should be able to provide it for everyone. To provide universal health care for low-income individuals, children in need, and military members the Government has to use the Affordable Care Act (ACA) which gives Americans access to affordable health care and gives coverage to for their certain conditions.

Universal health care can lower costs and prevent medical bankruptcy. If we used the ACA back in 2020 when covid-19 first started, we could've saved $438 billion. Some families can't afford America's high medical bill prices, so when they see how much they are being charged for it can be quite overwhelming. If we did have free health care, there is no guarantee that it would be high quality just because it's cheap. 

Sources 

https://healthcare.procon.org/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2137072/

https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/health-care-for-all.html

Questions 

Do you think health care should be free?

Should wealthier families have to pay for other people's medical bills?

Do you think health care prices are reasonable?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes it should. No they shoudnt. No they arent

• I think certain parts of healthcare should be free but not all of it. I do think they could lower the prices of some of the medical bills. 

• Yes, I think that heath care should be free because its a basic human need. I don't think nessasarly wealthier families should have to pay other peoples medical bills. But i think that all of them could pay a little bit. No I don't think they are reasonable. 

• I don't think health care should be completely free, however I do think that it should be much cheaper and more affordable for citizens. I don't think wealthier families should have to pay more, I think it should be equal. I don't think health care prices are reasonable.

• I think that health care should be free but I also believe that certain things at the hospital should have fees. I don't think that wealthier families should pay for other people's bills as they already are with health care tax. I think health care prices are high but its also the cost of the machines and workers so I think it is somewhat reasonable.

• I don'tt think that healthcare should be comletely free, but it should be cheaper. I think that the cost to have a baby or ride in an ambulence shouldn't cost as much as they do. I don't think that wealthier families should have to pay the bills of other people. 

• I don't think that it should be free but it should be affordable. Also, I don't think that wealthier families should have to pay for other families because there's no reason why they should have to waste their money on other people. After all, it's not their problem to worry about.

• I don't think that it should be completely free, but it should be more cost-friendly to families. Wealthier families should not have to pay for other people's medical bills because it is not their bills that they need to pay. Health care prices are very expensive and lots of families can't afford it. 

• I don't think health care should be completely free, even though that would be very nicet, but I definitely don't think it should be as expensive as it is. I don't think wealthier families should be forced to pay to other people's medical bills because thats just unfair.

• I think it would be great if everyone had access to affordable healthcare (key word affordable). It's important for people to be able to get the medical help they need without worrying about financial barriers. I don't think wealthier families should have to pay for that, but I think there should be ways they could choose to help out, like a GoFundMe.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker