Should College Athletes get Paid?

The NCAA regulates college athletics and ultimately decides whether the athletes get paid or not. Within the last few years, people started to question if the NCAA was being unconstitutional by not allowing athletes to get paid. Many say it's not right because colleges are making so much money off their athletics and the athletes actually participating in the matter aren't getting any type of compensation. So the US Supreme Court had a case on whether or not these athletes should get paid. Ultimately, on June 21, 2021, the Supreme court decided that the NCAA cannot ban certain types of payments. California was the first state to pass an NIL law, followed by many other states.

Over the last few years of this debate there are two major opinions. Some people think that getting your eduction paid for is enough compensation for the college athletes. Along with this there aren't many collegiate athletes that move onto professional sports. Because of this, people believe that athletes should be utilising there scholarships and eductions, instead of focusing more on their sport and making money. 

The other side to this argument is that they don't have time for jobs and since being an athlete is like having a full-time job. So then they should be compensated for all their hard work and dedication. Along with this, colleges make an extreme amount of money from the likeness of these players. Another argument to why these athletes should get paid is because they often live below the poverty line, along with their families. This money could really be important to these players that don't have time to get other income.

Personally, I believe that collegiate players should get some sort of compensation, but there should be a limit or cap on how much they're making. For many athletes it would be extremely beneficial. On the otherside they can't get too much because then when they have to get a different job they are not going to have the best money managment skills. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

Why or why not should they get paid?

How much do you think they should get paid and do you think their scholarships should be considered with it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like your idea that they don't get paid till after their first year. If it was like this, I believe that they should be paid based on their work and dedication of their first year.

• I feel that you are going on tv for your sport, you are techanally an intertainer. Lets say you play football in college , what is the difference between watching college football play and watching a NFL team play. I don't think they should get to much but maybe around 10 to 25,000.

• I do think that some College Athletes should get paid but not every day when they need to go to College just maybe just get some money just about 2 weeks then get a paid again after 2weeks is done. Or there can be some College that doesnt even need to pay anyone just they can get a degree.

• I agree that college athletes shouldn't get paid everyday. They could get paid every two weeks or even monthly. I still think there has to be a cap on how much they get paid.

• Honestly, college athletes should be getting paid. With all the time they're spending in the gym and on the court or wherever they play sports, it costs hundreds of dollars. Most kids who are college athletes have spent most of their lives doing their sport. the amount of money them and their parent have had to pay is absurd. If you're playing for your school, you should be getting paid. 

• I think college athletes should be paid because of the amount of money they bring to the school and their time spent at practices, games, etc. Realistically, many of these athletes have limited time to apply for jobs because their athletic career is their full-time job. I think the higher amount of scholarship the higher amount you should be paid. 

• I agree with you that they should be paid. I don't fully agree that the higher the amount of scholarship the more you should be paid. This is because people could be working just as hard and using all their time and getting paid way differently. 

• I think College Athletes should be allowed to make money and get paid, escpecially if the school has funds, and they are bringing in profits to the school. I think they should be paid based off the money they bring into the school, and their impact on the school.

• I agree with you they they should somewhat get paid for how well known they are. But some people aren't very know and put in the same work. Because of this I think that there should be a minimum payment to these players.

• I feel like college athletes should be paid. Without the athletes, there would be no game. People pay hundreds of dollars to attend games and they don't even get paid. I feel like they should get paid like 200 bucks per game. It might not seem like much, but number add up.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker