Should anyone be able to adopt?

Having a kid is a lot of responsibility, but something that is even harder is having a kid that has been through the system of foster care. Foster care is a system that places a kid (up to 18 years old) in a group home or a private home. In a private home is a state-certified caregiver also known as a “foster parent”. The placement of the child is normally due to the parents losing custody of the child for many different reasons, however, this is not always the case. Sometimes it is because the child's parents or guardian passed away, and the child has no other relatives to go to.  

In Iowa you have to go through a process to adopt a child. Including face-to-face interviews with a social worker and eventually the child or teen, home visits, and a background check including checking fingerprints, records, criminal records, amd child abuse records. You don’t have to be married and you don’t have to live in a house, you can live in a trailer or an apartment. You have to be at least 21 years old, but there is no maximum age as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable. You don’t need parenting experience either, there is training that can be provided. If the child is 14-18 they have to agree to the adoption, the biological parent(s) must give consent in the presence of the court or a social worker. 

After the adoption the biological parent(s) have 30 days to change their minds unless it was an emergency adoption where the child is taken from their home because they were in a dangerous setting. So you have to go through a lot to become a foster parent. Not everyone is fit for the job. There are different laws set in place so the child is in a safe home. Including you have to be at least 21, if you are a couple adopting one of you is the parent of the child who is being adopted, and there is no maximum age limit, as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable.  

In my opinion I don’t think that anyone should be able to adopt a kid, you have to be stable mentally, physically, and financially. If anyone could adopt I think that the kid could be in danger. I think that the laws are good, and that if you can prove you are stable enough to take care of a child then you should be able to adopt. 

Do you think that anyone should be able to adopt? 

Do you think there should be an age maxuim? why? Why not? 

If you do, what should it be? 

Do you think that you should have to be 21? Why? Why not? 

Sorces: 

Source 1

Source 2 

Source 3 

Source 4 

Source 5

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that you should have to be a certain age to adopt a kid because some people are probably not ready to be parent or just don't want to adopt a kid. I think you should have to be 21.

• I think that during adoption, thorough background checks are needed, you don't want bad parents with an adopted child. I believe 21 is a fitting age for adoption and very responsible, adoption is a very serious thing. 

• I don't hink that just anybody should be able to adopt because there are people who are not fit to be parents, and they take away from families that are good fits and that really want that kid. I think there should be an age maximum because when you get to a certain age, you are not able to take care of kids very easily, and that can be hard on the kid. I don't know what the age limit should be though. 

• I think people should adopt just in case they want more kids or want to have a kid they couldn't have. Maybe if their at least 25 should be the age maximum. I think maybe a little older than 21 at least 25 because some of the kids could be older than their parents and that isn't a good thing.

• Yes however you can only adopt a 18 year old no higher than that 

• I think that anybody should be able to adopt. I think their should be a age limet because they need to be mature and know what to do. I think they shoudl be at least 21. I think that if they are 21 they shoudl be mature enough and shoudl know what to do. 

• Thats a good point of veiw but do u think they should be stable enough

• No I do not think that anyone should be able to adopt because you dont want some pedo to adopt a kid so he can scar the kid. I think that there should be a age limt I think the limt should be 25. no I think that you should be a little bit older because just a little more experince would be inportant.

• I agree I think that it would be better for the kid if they were in a safe envoment 

• I think people should be able to adopt because without adoptions, kids without parents would be left without families. I think there should be an age limit of 30 and an age maximum of 65. I think being 21 is too young to adopt, and some of the kids you would be adopting would be barely younger that you.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker