Should anyone be able to adopt?

Having a kid is a lot of responsibility, but something that is even harder is having a kid that has been through the system of foster care. Foster care is a system that places a kid (up to 18 years old) in a group home or a private home. In a private home is a state-certified caregiver also known as a “foster parent”. The placement of the child is normally due to the parents losing custody of the child for many different reasons, however, this is not always the case. Sometimes it is because the child's parents or guardian passed away, and the child has no other relatives to go to.  

In Iowa you have to go through a process to adopt a child. Including face-to-face interviews with a social worker and eventually the child or teen, home visits, and a background check including checking fingerprints, records, criminal records, amd child abuse records. You don’t have to be married and you don’t have to live in a house, you can live in a trailer or an apartment. You have to be at least 21 years old, but there is no maximum age as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable. You don’t need parenting experience either, there is training that can be provided. If the child is 14-18 they have to agree to the adoption, the biological parent(s) must give consent in the presence of the court or a social worker. 

After the adoption the biological parent(s) have 30 days to change their minds unless it was an emergency adoption where the child is taken from their home because they were in a dangerous setting. So you have to go through a lot to become a foster parent. Not everyone is fit for the job. There are different laws set in place so the child is in a safe home. Including you have to be at least 21, if you are a couple adopting one of you is the parent of the child who is being adopted, and there is no maximum age limit, as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable.  

In my opinion I don’t think that anyone should be able to adopt a kid, you have to be stable mentally, physically, and financially. If anyone could adopt I think that the kid could be in danger. I think that the laws are good, and that if you can prove you are stable enough to take care of a child then you should be able to adopt. 

Do you think that anyone should be able to adopt? 

Do you think there should be an age maxuim? why? Why not? 

If you do, what should it be? 

Do you think that you should have to be 21? Why? Why not? 

Sorces: 

Source 1

Source 2 

Source 3 

Source 4 

Source 5

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think just anyone should be able to adopt. I think that would lead to a lot of problems and confusion. I think you should have to be atleast 21 years old to be able to adopt a kid. I think that you need to be finacially, mentally, and physically well to be able to adopt. Being 21 is when youre more mature. 

• I think if people want to adopt a kid i think they should be able to. Unless they are not well or don't have enough money to provide for the kid. I dont think there should be a limit on the age to adopt. I think you should at least have to be 21 to adopt.

• I don't think anyone should be able to adopt. I think that the age they have set who can adopt is a good age because you don't want to get adopted by a 14 year old. I also think it is good that they have house checks and check other things to do with the persons life.

• I do not think anyone should be able to adpot. I do think there should be an age maxuim. It's hard to parent is your older and slow moving. I think you should have to be 21 because that is when you become more mature. 

• I think it could be dangerous to let anyone adopt. You never know what kind of person someone is so I think they should have to go through lots of background checks and paperwork in order to be eligible. I think there should be a maximum because it would be weird to be an adult adopted by an adult.

• No, I do not agree that anyone can adopt, for that reason the jobs, way of life and home of those who want to adopt are trained. Children are supposed to go to a safe place with safe parents. Children have always been at risk so anyone could take advantage of that to harm them. It could be at the age of 21 depending on the maturity of the person.

• I don't think anyone should be able to adopt as some peoples lives they might want a kid but they don't even have a good enough lifestyle for themselves. I think their should be a maximum age limit as if a 70 year old tries to adopt a 2 year old the parent could pass before the child is able to take care of themselves. 

• I do not think that anyone should be able to adopt and I definitely think there should be restrictions to make sure the kid getting adopted gets a good home. I think there should be an age maximum to ensure the kid gets the best care possible. I think that you should have to be 21 just because a lot of teenagers aren't responsible.

• I think that you schould be able to adopt when you are 18 because then you don't have to worry about highschool. I think that there should be a maxuim because someone could always adopt someone when they are like 90 and then die. I think that it should be 18.

• That is a good veiw point I have never even think of that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker