Shark- Boy

On January 27th on Samurai Beach in the Australian town of Port Stephens a 10 year old boy named Eden Hasson's was surfing. Eden was surfing alone while his father, Chris Hasson, was on the beach recording and taking pictures. While Chris was snapping photos of his son he noticed a large object just beneath the wave his son was surfing on. After Chris got done capturing his sons surfing moment he zoomed in on the object he noticed just beneath the wave. Sure enough it was a shark. He then called to everyone in the water to get out and return to the beach. After everyone was safe he showed them the picture of his son inches away from the shark beneath him. Everyone thought it was cool and his son even shared a nice joke with everyone. "Lucky I didn't fall off." Experts say that the shark was a 8 foot White Shark. Experts also say that encounters with sharks aren't rare and half the time people don't notice how close they are to a shark when they are in the water. After the interview, the very next day Eden was back surfing not even fazed by the fact a shark was inches from him the last time he was out in the water.

10-year-old Eden Hasson, Chris Hasson's son, surfs near what is believed to be a great white shark at Samurai Beach, Port Stephens, Australia. James Cook University shark researcher Andrew Chin says the photographed shark is possibly a small great white.

Full Story/ Video

Question 1

If you were the parent of Eden would you let him surf by himself while you sit on the beach?

Question 2

Would you let your child go surfing again the next day after a close encounter with a Shark?

My Opinion 

If I were Eden's parents, I would let him surf on his own as long as I knew he was experienced. I wouldn't let him go out on his own if he didn't know what he was doing out there on the waves. It’s the ocean there will always be Sharks in the water I can’t help that. I would let him get back in the water the next day after everything has calmed down. It would be a new day to start surfing. Of course this time I would try to tag along and stay close enough just in case something was to happen. But yes, I would let my son go back out because no matter what day I let him surf there will always be sharks and other dangerous things in the water but I can’t keep him from doing something he loves. But there will be days were there aren’t any attacks and those are the days we would wish for the most out on the waves.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Hayley!

• I would let him surf by himself because he probably a pretty good surfer and knows what he's doing.  I would also let him go back the next day. Even if the shark went away, there's gonna be other sharks in the water no matter what so. 

• If he was experienced enough I would not mind letting him surf on his own. However if he had that close encounter than I would be a little hesitant on letting him go out their the next day because the shark could still have lingered around the area.

• I would let him if he was good enough at surfing and familiar with swimming so he's know how to react if he saw a shark. Well, it's not like the shark is going to stay in the same place over night so I would probable let him.

• I would let him if he stayed in the limits where I could see him and if I knew that he could swim well enough for that. 

I wouldn't. Just knowing that there was a chance of a shark attack or even a sighting, I would be too scared he could get hurt or killed. 

• Well I'm assuming this kid is a pretty good surfer if he is surfing by himself, so yes I think I would let the kid surf by himself since he is probably surfer and also it is probably not everyday you surf with a shark.  I would let my kid go surfing again assuming that they are ok with it and are good enough surfers.

• If I were his parent I probably would have let him surf if he knew what he was doing. I think I would probably give it a day or two though before letting him go surfing again. There is always sharks in the ocean even if you cant see them but I still think I would be pretty nervous.

• I wouldn't care. There are always going to be sharks in the water, you cant do anything about it. I would let them go surfing if they wanted too. Id make sure I was at least on the beach in case something bad happens while he is surfing.

• I would absolutely let him surf by himself. I would definitely watch him but I can't always be there to hold my child's hand. I would because they are very infrequent and rare. Most of the time they do not engage anyway. 

• If Eden is a experienced surfer then I would let him surf alone all he wants. I don't know if I would let them surf the next day. I would be pretty cautious the next time he surfed though.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker