School Uniforms

Evidence claims that the first school uniform got introduced in 1212,in England. These students were required to wear a robe-like outfit called a ‘Cappa clausa’. Only 12% of US schools require uniforms. This data was collected through a survey conducted in the year 2020. Many students and parents find it beneficial to wear school uniforms. On the other hand, some people find it useless, and not worth the battle it could create. The reason that some people find it beneficial is they feel it creates better learning experiences. The National Association of Secondary School Principals states in a meeting that, “When all students are wearing the same outfit, they are less concerned about how they look and how they fit in with their peers; thus, they can concentrate on their schoolwork”(Chris). Wearing uniforms can also be a relief to parents/guardians. The child doesn’t have to worry about what to wear, what to buy, and what clothes are most popular. It is healthy for a student's brain to not have to stress about their next day's outfit is perfect. It also is nice for those who cannot afford name-brand clothing. Lastly, it creates an equal environment of everyone coming together as one and feeling equal. While many people find it beneficial to require uniforms, others find it unhelpful. This opinion claims that it is hard for students to express themselves through clothing when they are forced to wear the same things.

Although some people find it helps kids feel like one, the opposite argument believes that it is a bad idea to create such a conformed environment. It doesn’t allow the students to feel different and unique from everyone else. Another problem schools face when trying to require a uniform is the students who oppose the dress code. Usually, these students make it clear they don’t like the rule. They do this by going against the code and wearing anything but what is required. This causes problems within the school with staff, students, and families. 

In the end, I don’t feel strongly about one side of the argument more than the other. I think I lean more towards non-uniform though. I think that every person and every student deserves the right to express themselves, and dress in their way. I think that students that are required to wear the same thing every day seem to get bland. It has no fun involved and only causes frustration. Although I don’t think they are necessary, I do understand where schools come from when requiring them. Especially for the less fortunate who are embarrassed by what they wear compared to others.

Do you think our school should require uniforms?

Why or why not?

Do you think it does any good?

Works CIted:

chris.drew.98031506, Chris Drew. “17 Surprising School Uniform Statistics, Facts & Data (2021).” Helpful Professor, 19 June 2021, https://helpfulprofessor.com/school-uniform-statistics/#:~:text=3.,2017%2D2018%20school%20year).

“Pros & Cons - ProCon.org.” School Uniforms, 3 May 2021, https://school-uniforms.procon.org/. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well written summary!! The big issue is that you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points. You still made the top five comments without commenting. You would have been #1 possibly.

• I do not think that schools should require or have uniforms for the students however I think that the teachers should have some uniform rules. I think that uniforms would make school seem more strict and I dont think that anybody would like to wear the same outfit everyday.

• I do not think schools should require uniforms. Personally, I like the freedom of being able to wear what I want. I think it is fun to put outfits together, and school uniforms would not make that possible. I do see the point where kids that can't buy brand name clothes don't feel like they fit in though.

• In my opinion, I do not think that we should wear school uniforms especially since a lot of kids have a different style of clothing. Students shouldn't be forced to wear clothing that they don't want to. Everyone should have a choice on what they want to wear and what they feel confident and comfortable in.

• no cause we should be able to wear what we want and some people might not want to go to that school. I think it doesn't do anything. 

• No I think not. In my opinion everyone should be able to wear what they want, and feel comfortable in. Maybe the school who require this get rid of bullying about brands or something like that. And maybe people show their selves in what they wear.

• Our shcool should not require uniforms. Its nice to wear what you want and depending on the meterial of the uniform it might also be hard in the winter. Uniforms dont seem to provide any positives, sure you can just wake up and not have to worry about what to wear but what if you get it dirty. Finally uniforms restrict a bit of freedom. People wear clothes in some cases to express themself but uniforms stop that.

• I think we don't need uniforms. I think it limits how people want to show themselves through their style. I think that it also restricts certain people who are the body don't fit the uniforms well. I don't think it will help anyone to change to school uniforms. 

• I don't think our school should require uniforms. If students want to wear school related gear then that's their choice. Clothing, hair, jewelry, etc. let's students express themselves. I don't like uniforms and I doubt anyone else at this school does. Nobody wants to dress formally for school.

• I don't think we should or have to wear school uniforms in school because it would be very uncomfortable for students. I think we should be able to wear whatever we want to school (that is appropriate). Also, if we had to wear these I feel there would be so many guidelines to follow for the dress code. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker