Real-Life Castaway Survivor

Salvador Alvarenga was lost at sea with his friend Córdoba. The tow of them were lost in the Pacific Ocean for 438 days. Salvador's Friend had died around month 2 of being at sea. Salvador had slowly been going insane by talking to his deceased friend. He had to drop Córdoba's body into the ocean. The two would catch birds or fish that would fly or swim by. They would drink the blood of the Seagulls as if they were vampires. "It was the only thing were could drink", Salvador explained. He soon had been floating for so long he couldn't tell if the ships that'd pass by were real or not. He had abandoned his boat for his inner tube. After floating for so long he saw mountains. He had swam to one of the Marshall Island chains. He was so happy when he felt the sand in between his toe that he'd fainted. During the time he'd fainted he was picked up by rescuers that took him to the hospital. I don't believe that I'd be able to survive a week out there.

How do you think it was possible for him to survive that long?

What would you have done to stay alive in his position?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/08/world/rewind-real-life-castaway/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good but be sure to hyperlink correctly.

• Him talking to his dead friend was huge it gave him something to pass the time and live for.

I would have done anything I had to stay alive.

• Because he had the basic things in life that are needed for survival. I would have done the same thing in his position to try and capture food and use everything off the animal that you catch to use for your body as a fuel to survive. 

• That's great, but how do you know you would?

• He must be very well educated in survival. I would probably die within a week because I have zero survival knowledge.

• I would most likely die within a week too, I wouldn't be able to do half of the things he had to do.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker