Public VS Private Schooling

When children reach the tender age of 5, parents ask themselves 1 question. Do I send my child to a public or private school? The first school in the US was made in 1606, a private catholic school made by the Franciscan Order. In 1620, when pilgrims arrived, they started setting up schools in Plymouth. During the colonial time of the 17th century, there was little to no distinction between public and private schools. Public schooling came around in the early 19th century due to people wanting less religious focus on schooling. Catholic bishops pushed for the founding of Catholic schools around the country in return, making religion one of the main differences between public and private schools. With the main one being where the money comes from (public from the government, private from tuition)

Most people choose private schooling because the smaller class sizes allow for more one-on-one time. Teachers are less overwhelmed, better paid, and sometimes better qualified, causing them to have more patience and motivation to truly help students get past rough patches. They also have more funding for field trips and hands-on learning.

The people who choose private schooling usually do so because it has more people, allowing students to have a more divmerse social life. Public school is also cheaper than private schools and sometimes has more extracurricular activities and clubs for their child’s interests. Public schools are also required to follow a state curriculum, which isn’t required of private schools in every state.

I would want my child to go to private school for the first half of their elementary schooling like I did. This ensures that they have a thorough understanding of the basics that they’ll use every day in the future. Later, they can go to public school to expand their social skills and join extracurriculars and clubs.

Which do you wish you went to?

Which would you choose for your future kids?

What are some things that make one worse than the other that I didn't cover?

https://defendinged.org/resources/history-of-private-schools/#:~:text=The%20first%20school%20in%20the,throughout%20the%20southwest%20and%20California

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/articles/private-school-vs-public-school 

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs97/97983.pdf 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have never been to a private school but it seems beneficial to a childs learning. If I had to chose to put my kid in one I think I would do a split of schools. Starting out in private school can get a child to learn more and then sending them to public school can ensure a kid gets a similar expirence to other kids. I think both schools are great. 

• I agree that public school can help the child relate to peers more, there are definitely unique experiences that happen in public school that private schooling can't provide. Private schools have a better academic reputation though.

• I think going to a private school could be great and benifical if started at a young age, however I think I would prefer a public school just because I am used to it and I have met good friends and it is a lot less expensive then a private school.

• I'm glad I go to public school because private schools aren't fun or strict. Public school kids don't have a social life because they don't have many kids in private schools. 

• I think that public school brings so many more advantages than an expensive public school. In are public school we have the right to believe what we want to belive and they cant change are opinion on anything.

• I wish I went to a private school, because they have better schooling and much better lunches, but I like my friends here. I would probably choose for my future kids to go to private school so they have a higher chance of college. Private school kids usually aren't very nice.

• I agree that private school lunches are better, probably because they have to mass produce less and can focus on quality instead of quantity. Having a private school education can definitely ensure an understanding that can help you with college.

• i would rather go to public school i feel like you talk and see more people. i would put them in public school because they get more social activity and learn more. private school is just bad it cost to much and theres not gonna be any new students.

• I agree that public school is better for social development. But being around the same people in private school also has the potential to build close bonds with childhood friends and possibly make friends for life which can be really valuable for them.

• I like public schooling better. I would have my kids go to public school as well. Private schools make the kids wear formal, nice clothes. They are also more strict with their rules and guidelines.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker