Los Angeles Teachers end 6-day strike

After tens of thousands of teachers had protested for better wages in LA, California for 6 days, a deal was made to end the strike on January 23rd. The deal was made by school officials and the United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA), who voted to approve a contract for a 6 percent pay raise and a commitment for reduced class sizes over 4 years. Los Angeles's Mayor called it a "historic agreement" and a "new day for public education". Besides the pay raise and reduced class sizes, the contract also promises to add 600 more nursing positions in schools around the city over the next 3 years. In addition, the contract also omitted an outdated agreement that gave district authorities over class size. Although the new deal seems like a dream come true, some administrators are concerned about the money challenges they may face ahead. The district posited that the decision might bankrupt the school system, which could face a $500 million dollar fall of the budget this year. 

Click here to read the full story 

Do you think the administration's fears are unfounded? 

Personally, I think they might be slightly exaggerating, considering the changes are not drastic and will happen over several years. Although, I think they do have some bearing because any number of financial changes made over time will affect a school system in some ways. 

Do you think this deal is better in the long term or short term?

I think this is relative, but if short term means 5-10 years I definitely think it would be short term.  I don't the administration will keep their promises and this cycle will probably start all over again. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Eden!

• I think the administration doesn't need to be freaking out about going bankrupt or anything as the deal was a compromise over several years and they agreed to it so they should've known it would be possible to pay the teachers more somehow by compromising on other areas of their budget. At first I think things will go well, but over time they may change things back to the way they were, deal or no, because it doesn't work out or they don't like the money they're losing. 

• I honsetly dont know because i agree with oyu that they are just over exaggerating the whole problem, and it may be a big deal in the next couple of years and it may not.Short term because then the situtaion wont be as big as it would be a long term.

• I agree that they are over exagerating becasue it't not that drastic of a change and have plenty of time in order to fix it.  Since they work for a big school, when there are financial changes it can effect more than they thought. I also agree that if will probably be short term.

• I agree with the exageration because they will have time to fix problems that occur. I also agree with the short term because if the administraters are not exagerating about bankruptcy then the longer more years this goes on then the closer they are to being bankrupt.

• I think the Administration is just over exaggerating 6% is not very much say a teacher is making 50,000 dollars a year and a 6% raise on that would only be 3,000 dollars more a year, so it would not be that much more that a teacher would be making so it wouldnt put that much of a dent into the 500,000 dollars. I also think that this would be a great short term deal and I also agree that the administration will jusr repeat themselves and repeat this cycle.

• I also agree with you that they might be exaggerating a little bit. With the changes happenings over several years, it allows them to ease into the new developed payments. However, I personally think that this deal would be better in the long term. It's going to take a lot in order to make these changes, and I definitely don't think they will be easy to maintain right away but rather through the years to come. 

• I agree that they may be exaggerating, but they do work in a very large school and when financial changes are made it can cause changes in many areas of a school. I agree that this deal is probably better in the short term.

• I think they are maybe exaggeratting a little to much but I mean with a school system that large there will be losses.

I think that they'll keep this going fo a while then quit and then the teachers will go on strike then either get fired or get what they want.

• I think that the administration's fears are founded because they would be paying every teacher 6% more and bankrupsy for the school system which many people depend on is scary. I think it will be better for the short term because if in the future the school system is almost out of money, I think that they may change their laws and bills. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker