At 11:30 pm on January twentieth, an officer patrolling a park in South Florida ran over a pair of people. The pair lived nearby to the park and were believed to be watching the Lunar Eclipse. Because it was darker in the park, they were said to have decided to watch the eclipse at the park.  The pair were lying in the park in the middle of a road. When driving by at 5 mph, the police had run the two over. Both the man and woman were run to the hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries. Florida police have stated that both were 24 years of age, but have not released their names yet. The officer who ran them over was placed on administrative leave, which means the officer is on temporary leave with pay while the investigation is done, without implying fault on his part. 

Do you think it was the people or the officers fault that the two were run over?

I think both sides could be argued. I think the two lying in the road should not have been in the road and should have noticed the police car and moved out of the way. It can also be argued that the officer should have seen them and stopped. 

Do you think the officer ran the two over purposfully?

I think it is possible that the officer purposfully ran them over considering he didn't stop and most would think he should have been able to see them with his head lights, but some could argue that there was no way for the officer to see the pair. 

Read article here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job Brynn!

• I think it was the people's fault technically because they were lying in the middle of the road but I think some of the blame should be on the police officer because he should've been paying attention more even if it was dark since he could've at least seen shadows in the road with his headlights. I doubt he ran them over purposefully but I do agree that it seems like the accident could've been avoided with use of headlights or even streetlights if they were on. 

• I think that both could have their share of faults. The civilians could have, you know, not lie in a road that is used by cars. But the officers could have been more vigilant of them. It's possible that it was purposelly but not likely, what is the point of running over innocents in the road on purpose.

• I think both sides of the probelm can be argued. For one, you shouldn't be laying in the middle of the road in the first place, but the officer should've been more alert as the lunar eclipse was going on. I don't think the officer did it on purpose because it just seems like an honest accident considering hte lighting issues. 

• I think that both sides are at fault because the citizens shouldn't have been laying in the road but the car also should've noticed them and stopped themselves before the injuries even occured. I think it was on purpose because once he ran them over he could've stopped the car and I think he should have to serve time for his actions.

• I think it's both sides fault because the people should've been smart enough to not lay in the middle of the road at night and the officer should've been more careful with his driving. There might have been a possibility, but there is no way to make sure right now, so they can only say it was an accident. 

• I agree. With the information given it could go either way. I don't think the people should have been laying in the street and the officer should have been paying more attention. With the information given that the officer was only driving 5 mph, you would think it would give the two time to move out of the way.

• I think both sides were at fault, the people shouldn't have been in the middle of the road and got out of the way when they heard/saw the police car; and the police officer should have been paying more attention. I doubt the police officer did it on purpose, since that would seriously hurt his reputation.

• I agree. It's common sense that you don't lay in the middle of the road and the officer should have been paying more attention. The people laying in the road would have had enought time to move out of the way given the information that he was only driving 5 mph.

• I think it's the couple's fault because it's common sense not to lie in the middle of the road during near-complete darkness. I don't suspect any foul play in the officer's side because he's working with the law to ensure everybody's safety during the event, and it wasn't his fault that two people didn't hear a running car coming towards them in the middle of the road during pitch darkness.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker