John Deere autonomous tractor

John Deere autonomous tractors are fairly new they unveiled them in 2022. The tractor is not out for production yet, but a few farmers have tried the autonomous function. The autonomous tractor means there doesn't have to be a farmer inside the tractor controlling it. This makes farmer's operations more efficient. Autonomous tractors will make the farmer more money and it makes the farmer more free time to spend with their family or work on other things on the farm. The autonomous tractor also saves the farmer money by not having to pay and employ to run the machine. The autonomous tractor works by a star fire globe which receives data and send out data to help the tractor know where it is at all time. The tractor also has 360 cameras combined with a high-speed processor that analyzes all the data the cameras and globe are sending in about 100 milliseconds. This means if the tractor sees a rock or a fencee or something it is not supposed to hit it will stop instantly and send a notification the Operation Center and that will let the farmer look at the camera and decide to let the tractor go over it or the farmer will have to go out and remove the object. The autonomous tractor is equipped with a full interior ready for an operator to run the machine. The farmer/operator has to drive the machine to a field and then they can press start and get out of the cab. But first, the farmer has to go around the outside of the field mapping the borders. The farmer has to do this so the machine knows what it has to get done and so it knows its limits. Another benefit to autonomous tractors is the tractor will never be late, like an employee could be, and the tractor will run all night and day as long as you keep fuel to it. Farmers can monitor the tractor with their phone, iPad, or their computer. They do this by the John Deere Operation Center. The operation center shows the farmer how much of the field is done, and how much is left in the field. The operation center also shows the status of the tractor, which would be the fuel level how fast it's going, and where it is at in the field. 

If you were a farmer would you want an autonomous tractor?

How much do you think the autonomous tractor will cost?

Do you think in the future autonomous tractors will be the only thing around?

https://www.deere.com/en/autonomous/#checklist

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Gabe! I woul lsike you to use paragraphs to better effect and be sure to keep replying.

• In my personal opnion, I would not want an autonomous tractor because I would not be able to trust it for multiple reaons. For instance I do not know if I could trust it to do a good and accurate job without watching it preform. Plus, something could go wrong with the tractor and nobody would know.

• As a person who is not informed about farming, I found this topic very interesting because its out of my comfort zone. I think an autonomous tractor would not be good because I would rather trust what other fellow farmers recommend to me 

• I dont think I would want an autonomous tractor becuase something could malfuntion and nobody would be in the tractor to stop it or fix the problem. Like regular tracotrs if something goes wrong their is a person to stop it and fix the problem or have someone to get help. 

• I would not want an autonomous tractor because I would not be able to trust it doing a good job and would end up standing there watching it and at that point I might as well be driving it because I would have nothing better to do.

• I think that if I had a huge farm and enough money then I would want one. I think that it all depends on how expensive the tractor is and how many employees I have. I think that autonomous tractors will become popular, but I don't think that there won't be any more human-operated tractos.

• I would want an an autonomous tractor because I could get a lot more done in a shorter amount of time. During harvest, my days would be less busy because the tractor wouldn't really need my help at all. I would be free to work on other projects and not have to worry about the tractor. I think that the cost will be around $95,000, because of the new feature. And, after a few years I bet that everyone will have one and we will be able to produce more crops and get more money.

• I think these tractors would be very expensive because of all the features it has. I think it is a good idea though because it could let the farmers do other things while the tractor runs itself.

• If I were a farmer I wouldn't use an autonomous tractor yet, but I would in the future if they become more popular and I knew they were very reliable. I don't really know anything about tractors but I'd guess a lot like $90,000- $95,000. I think really far in the future it's possible they could be the only thing around.

• I agree with you I dont think I will use an autonomous tractor yet but I think in the future I will. I think the tractor will cost a lot more than $90,000 or $95,000. A new tractor from John Deers that doesn't have autonomous features costs anywhere from  $500,000 to $800,000. So I think it will cost about 900,000 to 1milion dollars

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker