JFK Assassination: Tragedy or Conspiracy?

John F. Kennedy, a former US Senator from Massachusetts, was elected the 35th President of the United States alongside Vice President Lyndon. B Johnson. In his first term as President, Kennedy saw the height of the Cold War, countered foreign policy and communism, and de-escalated the Cuban Missile Crisis. After four successful years in office, Kennedy began preparing for his second presidential campaign in the fall of 1963.

Throughout the next several weeks, JFK traveled the United States and attended political planning sessions and Democratic gatherings. During that time, tension had been building among the Democratic party in Texas. JFK made plans to speak in Texas to unite political leaders and as a result, win the majority of votes from the state. Kennedy also viewed this visit as an informal launch of his reelection campaign. 

Kennedy arrived in Texas on the morning of November 22, 1963. Upon arrival, Kennedy was greeted by thousands of well-wishers and spent several minutes shaking hands. JFK and his wife, Jacqueline Kennedy, were then whisked away to an open convertible which they shared with Texas Governor John Connally and his wife. The convertible left the airport and traveled through downtown Dallas to where the President was scheduled to speak at a luncheon later that day. However, the President never made it to that luncheon. 

As the convertible was passing by the Texas School Book Depository in the plaza, gunfire erupted. Bullets struck the President’s neck and head and he slumped over towards Mrs. Kennedy. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, but unfortunately, little could be done to save him due to the extent of his injuries. Police later arrested Lee Harvey Oswald, an employee at the Texas School Book Depository, for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. 

On that fateful day in 1963, JFK became the fourth US president to be assassinated while in office. In the weeks following his death, controversy troubled the nation. Panic ensued throughout the country and many conspiracy theories from the public were widely spread. For instance, many believed that the shooting was a disguised mob hit as the Kennedys were no stranger to organized crime. Other conspiracies dabbled in government involvement and accomplices to Lee Harvey Oswald. JFK’s assassination continues to fascinate future generations and is the subject of many films, books, and historical documentaries. 

Why do you think JFK's story continues to fascinate people nearly 60 years later?

Do you think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone? 

How would America be different had JFK not been assassinated?

Wikipedia - JFK Assassination Timeline

Town&Countrymag.com - JFK Conspiracy

Wikipedia - JFK Assassination

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, he did a lot of good things during his first term as President, it would be interesting to see how his new ideas would've gone.

• This is a fascinating conspiracy and just event. I believe that the public story is and should be considered the true story. Even though I think it's a true story I don't think that should stop people from making their conspiracy on it.

• A lot of the case is left open for people to make their conspiracies about it since there were a lot of stones left unturned. However, I think the majority of the case is relatively simple to understand, the details are what makes it tricky. 

• I think the story continues to intrigue people after so many years because it's apart of history and it's very rare for a president to get assassinated the way he was.  I think that Lee Harvey must of had some help alone the way and I think America would've been very different. 

• I think that because it is a huge mystery, even people today are interested in it. The fact that we don't know and might never know draws people's attention and intrigues them. I think that Oswald worked alone - though he might have had other people who helped get him supplies. I think that America would be different if JFK had not been assassinated, but I am not sure if it would be better or worse than it is now. 

• I think the story of the JFK Assassination is very interesting to this day. I think that the story still blows people's minds because yet no one knows who did it and if there was a plan for the Assassination. There are still so many questions we all ask. If the Assassination did not occur I think America would not be the same as it is today, JFK had a plan and I think that plan was going to make a lot happen in America. 

• I think that the idea that there is no defined answer to what happened can cause people to be interesting in finding out what actually happened to JFK. I think that Lee Oswald probably had other people working with him to plan out the assasination. 

• I completely agree. It's difficult to do what Oswald did alone, especially back then. The mystery keeps people intrigued and allows them to form their own conspiracies and theories. 

• Yes, I still think the whole story is very interesting, I have so many different theories. I'm not sure if Lee Harvey Oswald was working alone, I'm pretty sure he was, but there could be people out there who think differently. America would have had a great president who helped America change in so many positive ways. 

• I think it continues to fascinate people because no one knows the exact truth of what happened. I think that he acted alone, that is what the report said and there is no need to think anything else unless there is evidence for it.  America would be very different because JFK would have been able to make a lot more happen in the US.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker