Is the Earth flat?

How did the theory of the flat earth start?

As most people know, when you stand on the ground and look around, you can’t tell that the Earth is round and looks very flat instead. In order to see the curved horizon, you have to be at least 35,000 ft above the ground. Obviously, this takes advanced technology to accomplish, so for a very long time, people could not see that the Earth had a curve and just thought it was flat. Many ancient philosophers perceived the Earth to be a flat disk floating in the ocean.

Flat Earth Society

Although we have made discoveries and have had technological advances that prove the Earth is round, many people still seem to be infatuated with the idea of the Earth being flat. In the 1830s, the concept of the flat earth was reinstated by a commune in Britain, led by Samuel Birley Rowbotham. This was in response to the scientific progress being made. In the 1950s, the Flat Earth Society was created. The group was based in Britain with around 4,000 members. When social media became popular and started to have a great influence, the organization relaunched itself worldwide in October 2009. 

This group has many similar beliefs to the philosophers before they were able to see that the Earth was round. They believe that the Sun and the Moon are about 51 miles in diameter and circle around the flat disk about 3,147 miles away. Some believe that Antarctica spreads infinitely across the world, and some refuse to believe the conventional laws of gravity and instead believe that the flat Earth accelerates upwards and creates the illusion of gravity.

I don’t think the Earth is flat. I don’t know exactly why people choose to believe their theories versus scientific facts, proof, and evidence. I think they might just want to go against society, disagree for attention or entertainment, or they just genuinely think the Earth is flat. I think the scientific evidence is trustworthy and there is no way that the Earth is flat.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Do you think the Earth is flat?

Why do you think some people think the Earth is flat?

What are some ideas/conspiracies you have heard about the flat earth?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, it's hard to argue with the pictures and evidence of the curved horizon that proves the Earth is round. I've never heard the theory that the Earth is shaped like a donut, but it seems interesting to find out why people came up with that. 

• I think the earth is a donut. I think some people think the earht is flat casue it's a mental disease, like LGBTQ. A consperacy ive hear is that the flat earth is the shell of a galactic turtle.

• I do not agree with you. There's no physical way the Earth could be shaped like a donut. Our world would work very differently if it was. I also don't think that people who think the Earth is flat have a mental disease, I think it's just a belief they choose to have.

• i dont think the earth is flat at all. i think some people belive this because of the way we used to draw maps and when you look at the sky you can kinda see it curver in the sky. 

• I think that the earth is round. I think this because people show pictures of the moon and it is round. I think that some people believe that it is flat because we don't fall off the earth when it is upside down. I have not really heard much about the flat earth. 

• The Earth is not flat if you look at any map of the world it would show you this. I don't know why people think the world is flat, it could be because we are always flat. Not upside down unless we go upside down. I have never heard a conspiracy about the Earth being flat.

• I agree, there are so many things you could just look at and you'll see that the Earth is very much round, not flat. I get that some people don't agree with it because they haven't seen it for themselves and they're skeptical of it, but at this point it's really just dumb not to believe it.

• No, absolutely not. I don't think the earth is flat because there is just too much evidence to back it up. I think some people just want to make a name for themselves thinking the Earth is flat and they think they are the smarter ones and they are the one's who believe everything is scripted like life is scripted for some of them that think that, things like that. 

• I do not think the earth is flat, I feel that it is just a statement or theory that people like to argue about. There is a lot of evidence that the Earth is not flat. The Earth is round, we do not fall off of the round earth because of gravity. 

• I do not think the Earth is flat and I think the flat Earth theory is stupid. I don't know why people would think that, as it's all explained with gravity and science. It is common sense that the Earth is round, how else would everything work the way it does.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker