Schools are required by state law to have annual drills in emergency situations. On March 4, 1908, the Lake View school in Collinwood, Ohio caught ablaze due to a furnace overheating. The teachers and staff remained calm and let the students talk among themselves as they exited. This was the worst school fire in history taking 172 students, 2 teachers, and 1 rescuer. Ever since then schools and other public buildings have been finding safer and easier ways to exit the building. Now schools teach their students that walking in a single file line and staying quiet is the best way out of the situation. Is this the best way though?

In case of a fire students are supposed to be quiet and listen to the teacher’s instructions. Line up at the door in a single file manner. Quietly walk outside the building until reaching a safe area. As well as in a tornado situation. It is taught to walk quietly to the designated area in the school.

I think that lining up in a single file line in a fire/tornado situation is a good way to get out of the school in a fire or get to a safe place. I think this because it allows the teachers and school staff to get everyone out safe. I also think that staying quiet really helps get everyone out of the situation much quicker than not. At first I thought that lining up was just a waste of valuable time but now it makes sense to me.

What do you think about walking in a single file line during an emergency?

Would you change the way the school has it now?

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/collinwood-disaster-fire-safety 

https://www.wikihow.com/React-to-a-Fire-Alarm-at-School-(Kids) 

https://emergency.vt.edu/ready/guides/building-fire/building-fireduring.html#:~:text=Never%20take%20an%20elevator%20when,and%20report%20where%20you%20are.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I see where you are coming from, however, I feel that if everyone were to walk at a decent pace in a single file line everyone would be able to get out. It would also help the first responders to know who is all in the building.

• I think single file line in a emergency is very needed. teachers need it to make sure everyone is accounted for and safe. i hate single file lines, but for emergencies it is needed.

• I think that this can be a good idea in certain situations. Running to get out of the building and smooshing altogether to manage to get out the door can be a hazard. While fastly walking in a straight line getting students out without causing harm could be a better option. At the moment during a fire, I don't think you're going to get the whole high school to line up in a single file line. That means we should probably get used to not always lining up in a line during a drill. 

• I think that walking in a single file line when evacuating an emergency at the school is a smart idea it makes it so that the teacher and kids can keep track of everyone and keep them safe from the dangerous situation. I wouldn’t change the way the school has it, because it's the way it has been for a long time and it seems to have worked out well there's no use in changing how we do things if it already works perfectly fine.

• I agree that walking together with your current class is the most beneficeal way to get out of the emergency. It does help teachers keep tabs on everyone and make sure everyone gets out safely.

• I understan getting in a single fine line but I also understand kids just wanting to get out and not wanting to waste time. Though in the times that our school has had to get everyone out of the building I feel we have doing it fairly quick. My issue is that when I was on my way out the door our phones were right there and could have eaisly been grabbed but instead the teacher wasted time yelling at us to not take our phones. If there was an actual fire I would want my phone so that I could tell my parents right away.

• I think that its not the best idea because walking during an extremely dangerous event but also having students rush trough the hallway is a safety risk because someone could fall down or become hurt and not be able to make it out in time.  I think that having been in high school for three years the people that are coming up with these procedures are way smarter than me so i would not change it. 

• I see how walking in a dangerous situation doesn't seem like the right thing to do considering you'd want to get out. As long as your not right next to the fire I feel that you should stick with your current class so teachers can make sure everyone is out safely.

• No if its burn you want to try and get out as fast as you can and call the fire depratment. yes i would change the way its done.

• I think that walking in a single file line during an emergency helps keep organization when trying to get out of the building. But I think trying to get kids to go in a single file line when the school is actually on fire is going to be difficult. If a fire were to catch the school, I would run outside after grabbing all of my things, which is exactly what they tell us not to do.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker