Is it that much cheaper to drive an electric car?

Is it really that much cheaper to drive an electric or hybrid car? In my opinion they are better for the environment, But does it cost more money to buy and charge these electric machines? If you are thinking aboyut purchasing an electric car tjink about where you live and how many chargers are in your area in case you may run out of battery. Grtting into the prices of these electric/hybrid cars you may be thinking of purchasing an electric car since the gas prices have gone up over 58% since last year. It turns out the average price of these electric cars are roughly $56,437 according to kelly bluebook, $10,000 higher then the cost of gas and EV's. If you own a Tesla you will get a level 2 charger installed in your home, but you will have to pay for the "superchaegers" if you have to charge your car in public. In my opinion i would not own one of these electric cars because if you run out of battery anywhere you wouldnt be able to charge your car or put gas in it if your stuck somewhere.

Also tax credits can lower the cost of buying your electric car to about $46,000. The federal goverment can offer a $2,500-$7,500 for someone who has newly purchased an eletric vehicle. You may be asking, witch is cheaper overall? it turns out that The U.S Department of Energy repot shows that after people owning electric/hybrid cars it is actually cheaper to own an electric car by saving a few thousand dollars every year. Based on the average lifetime of a car they last almost 200,000 miles, you pay normally $94,000 for gas in that 200,000 miles and about $90,000 in that 200,000 for an electric car. They have a difference of $4,000 witch may not seem like a lot compared to $90,000 but overtime after buying new cars every few years it all adds up. It does turn out that electric vehicles have a bigger up front cost comared to a similar gasoline vehicle.

Do you think it is cheaper to own a gasoline or electric vehicle?

Would you buy an electric car?

Sources:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/29/electric-vehicles-are-becoming-more-affordable-amid-spiking-gas-prices.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31544842/how-much-is-an-electric-car/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that electric cars are kind of dumb but if it comes down to where you have an electric cars and your saving money thats good for you but not for everyone. Personally i would never buy an electric car beacuse of the up front cost.

• I think it would be cheaper to own an electric car, especially over time. I don't know if I would buy an electric car because there are many other cars that have their own unique features. If gas prices began to go way up, then I might actually think about getting an electric car in the future.

• I think that it could be a little bit cheaper to have electric because you don't have to pay as much to charge. However, right now I would not buy an electric car because there is not as many charging stations and if I ran out it could be bad. 

• I think it also could be cheaper because they would be a lot easier on tires and you would never have to change the oil. All the maintnece you would have to do on the car is tires and the driveline. Also if you have to charge your car fully in public it costs as much to almost fill up a normal car.

• If there was more charging stations around, I would by an electric car. I imagine repowering an electric car wouldn't be that expensive since its easily available and you don't have to trade it amongst other countries like you would with oil. Sources for electricity like solar power or wind turbines might be more costly though. The benifits to having an electric vehicle is that it is cheaper to maintain too.

• I think that it probably is more expensive to own a vehicle that takes gasoline over time because of having to fill it with gas regularly.  While an electric car might be more expensive to buy it initially it will save you more since you just have to charge it.

• I think that at first it may not seem much cheaper but over the years you could see a bit of saving. I think that one of the closest charging station is in Shelby. I think it could be too much work to have to drive to Shelby frequently.

• In small town Iowa there is not a single charging station near Harlan that I can think of. So therefore owners of electric cars would have to drive farther to get to a charging station. I think that it would be a lot more convenient for people around here to drive gas or diesel fueled vehicles. 

• I do not want an electric car. I think they are more expensive than regular cars. The maitenance of the vehicles are a lot more expensive, and when the battery goes bad, you have to change them and they are very expensive. Your electric bill would also go through the roof, so you really don't save much money.

• The price in the long run will end up being the same if not more. The parts for them are much more expensive and the labor to fix them if you take them to a mechanic cost a lot more. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker