Over the last 50 years or longer, sports teams have decided to use Native American names as their mascot or team name. Native American names and gestures have all been used at the professional, collegiate, and high school level. Some examples of this include the Kansas City Cheifs, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins, Red Raiders, Indians, and many more. Some gestures such as the tomahawk chop and Indian cries have also been used.

There are many different reasons people choose these options as their names. Teams choose these names because they admire them and many think of them as roll models. Many also view them as strong and courageous. A lot of people love their way of life and how spiritual they are as well. An announcer for the Cleveland Indians who is part Cherokee believed that the name "Indians" could provide a chance to educate people on their culture and history. Randy Rollyson states “My great-grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian. I have no problem, whatsoever, with the use of Native American logos. None at all." On the other hand, Scotty Sochay states “Bottom line: Our historical relationships with outside groups are fraught with broken treaties, agreements, and promises. As a result, we are generally distrustful of outside groups. Thus, we have a problem when an outside group tells us we ‘should feel honored’ by their usage of Native imagery. Rather than telling us to feel honored, let us decide how to be honored. And if that means dropping the imagery, please respect our culture.” 

I personally think that all teams should be able to use Native American names as their mascots. I would feel pretty honored to have teams named after me or my people. However, I have not been in the place of Native Americans and can understand how they feel based on history.

Do you think sports teams should be able to use Native American names and gestures?

Do you know anyone that doesn't like teams changing names such as the Washington Redskins or Cleveland Indians?

Sources

https://www.thewrap.com/sports-teams-dumped-racist-names-mascots-indians-redskins/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/learning/is-it-offensive-for-sports-teams-and-their-fans-to-use-native-american-names-imagery-and-gestures.html

https://onlinesportmanagement.ku.edu/community/native-american-team-names-mascots#:~:text=Although%2079%20percent%20favored%20keeping,7%20percent%20said%20it%20should.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think they should be able to use Native American names and gestures but there are always gonna be the people who are offended. 

• I personally think that sports teams should be able to use a Native american name/gestures. I feel If they use it in a respectful way then there should not be any problems because they woundn't be doing anything wrong. I don't think I know anyone that doesn't like teams changing names.

• I don't think it's a problem or ever was. I never heard of anyone who was of native american/indian heritage who was offended by the washington redskins football team. Now it's known as the Commanders, but it never was an issue for native americans. 

• I don't think that it is offensive to use those things as long as they are not used as derogatory. I don't like that the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians had to change their name. I hope that they don't try to change the Chief's name and try stopping their traditions.

• I completely agree. If it's not bothering the majority of people especially Native Americans then we should not change anything. I really hope they don't change the Chiefs name and ruin those traditions either.

• I think sports team should be able to use Native American names and gestures. To me it just team name and this team probably have had this name for years and now their taking the name away. Personally to me I don't know anyonre that doesn't like changing names.

• I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with using a Native American Name or a gesture. As long as the people who are using the name or gesture are doing it in a respectful way. I think that the majority of the teams who are using these names or symbols aren't using it in a way to make fun of Native Americans and instead bringing light to them.

• Yes, I completely agree. None of these teams are using Native American names and gestures in a bad way. They have used these names for 50 years or more and it is honoring Native Americans and their culture while creating a fun atmosphere.

• I believe that the teams should be allowed to have these team names. It's just a team name, I don't understand why the Redskins were forced to change to the Commanders. It was never a big deal. 

• I believe that sport team should be able to use Native America.  I think is a team is not using the name in a good way I think it should be changed. Other than that I think changing the name is not really that nesesorie.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker