Is it better to be involved within your school?

A debate that is not often talked about, but sometimes thought about is the idea of whether or not being active within your school is beneficial or not. One side of the argument feels that if a student is more active in school, it is overall beneficial and better for the student overall. Others claim that besides mandatory classes, a student should not have distractions holding them back from performing to their highest potential in the classroom.

Some pros to being active in your school and clubs such as Best Buddies, Student Council, NHS, and others, is it helps you learn cognitive skills. Another benefit is it helps a student learn social skills and communication skills. If a student is willing to step out of their comfort zone and be willing to stand out in clubs, it could potentially enhance their abilities to get a better job in the future. And the last reason I will mention is the idea that it teaches responsibility. If a student has the ability to balance school, clubs, and activities, it prepares them for the real world. It prepares students for their adult ages because as adults, many people will realize that balancing a work life, home life, relationships, and family life can be much harder than we realize as high school students. Overall getting more involved in school is super beneficial and super important for learning life-long lessons.

On the other hand, some people feel as if it is a distraction. Many would say that their student or child should be more focused on grades and academic accomplishments. Others feel that clubs are restrictive. Meaning that you can’t participate in them if you don’t have rides to and from, if you are struggling with money, or home lives, or anything that could hold someone back from joining a club. But, I think as a school district, we do a very good job of allowing everyone and anyone the opportunity to get involved. 

So overall, I think that getting involved within your school and community is vital. There are so many lessons to be learned outside of the classroom, and getting involved is one way to learn. 

Do you think that being involved more is better for you?

Would be involved more make you more social? 

Real Benefits Behind Becoming Involved in School Activities - Florida National University (fnu.edu)

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job with your summary! This is late and you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• I think it is better if someone is involved in school activities. Whether it is sports or other after-school activities. I think it helps you become more connected to your friends and people who are involved in that activity. I like to think it helps me stay busy and not get bored. 

• I think if you are involved in your school it can be beneficial to you and others. I think that social interaction is an important thing in life. People should try their best to interact and go out of their way to talk to others since once you start to you will realize that it isn't that bad.

• I think that being involved in school is beneficial for people. I don't know how beneficial the school work is, but I think that social interaction is a very important thing. Everyone should push themselves out of their comfort zone and just talk to people. Once you start doing it, it gets way easier.

• I think getting invloved is very important to make friends and get to know people. And this way you can find your people and start accecpting who you are. Being invloved would 1000% make you more social. Like in choir you have to talk to everyone and get to know them. Which is very good way to make friends.

• I think its okay to be more ivolved in your school and join some extracurricular activites, however it is not needed to have a good experience at school. I am in some etra classes after school and I can see why people might not want to. I have less times for homework and friends because of my extra classes.

• I think that every student should be involved in at least 1 extracurricular activity. I think it is important for meeting new people, and having good time management. However, too many extracurriculars can become a distraction from school, so I think that too many extracurriculars is just as harmful as none at all.

• It really depends on what you have going on that isn't school related. Some people are busy after school and can't do extra stuff for the school activity.

• I think that all students should be involved in extra activities. But, you don't have to make school your life either. Some people do too much and don't even get to enjoy their life outside of school. But it will definitely make you more social.

• Yes, I believe that yif you are more involved with your school then you develop better social skills and make more freinds. I think that getting involved more in school is important, but I think that you shouldn't get too involved or else you will burn yourself out.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker