Is child obesity caused by bad parenting?

Is child obesity caused by bad parenting?

Some of the main causes of obesity are the amount of food someone eats, how much they exercise, and genetics. Another main cause, but is still questioned today, is the home life of a kid. There have been studies and tests that have tried to prove or show the possibility of obesity coming home to the home environment. Those who believe obesity comes from bad parenting have said that because the parent doesn’t enforce rules and regulations on their children's food intake. Many times, obesity runs through the family. If a parent is classified as obese, then the children are more likely to become obese. This is because of the habits and exercises done by their influences.

People who think that obesity has nothing to do with parents feel that it is caused by other reasons. Many feel that the other causes could be because of health reasons or even the amount of money they make. Many times people who suffer from obesity also have another disease linked with obesity. These can be things like sleeping disorders, asthma, heart disease, and more. Another reason is how much the family makes. Many times, those who do not make as much and don’t have lots of money for food must buy cheap things. In a store, the cheap things are the food that has the most amount of sugar and the healthier things are much more expensive.

I think that obesity can come from several reasons. I do not think every case is because of: bad parenting.” I think that can be a cause but many times it's not the parents' fault. I also think that some adults are not as smart and concerned about their and their children's diets. That leads to children becoming overweight and labeled as obese. I also think that we do see situations of people who can buy healthy stuff but choose not to. That is okay, but some of those people do not work out, do anything physically, or try to help their health at all. So overall I think it just depends on the situation.

Do you think obesity is caused by bad parenting?

What do you think causes it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Obesity can be caused by a whole bunch of variables. It can be in someone's bloodline and if that's the case it would be hard to combat but it is still possible with hard work.  I think every parent should work hard to keep their kids in shape by involving them in sports or other physical activites.

• I agree with you. Parents should keep there kids involved in physical activities. 

• My opinion is that parents can be part of it because if parents do not teach kids how much food to eat and how to eat healthy. I do not think that bad parenting is the main cause of obesity because the child may also have a eating disorder.

• I agree with you because sometimes if there parents don't teach them how much food to eat or what kind of food that can make a difference.

• Many things come into play when talking about this. It could be the parents are over feeding them or they somehow develpoded a eating disorder or soemthing like that. Child obesity might be a bit because of bad parenting but its not that main cause of it, or at least thats what I think.

• I feel like the parenting might have an impact of child obesity. I think that if parents just give their kids junk food ALL THE TIME and allow them to choose what they eat, then it for sure has an impact on the situation. I don't think child obesity is always from what the parents feed them, it could also just be genetics. 

• In my opinion parenting definitely has an impact on the eating behaviors of the children. But what closese the deal is that the genetics. I think two of the big things that impacts their children's eating and obesity is calorie consumption and and the parenting at the very early age.

• I think that parents can influence the eating habits of their children. Depending on what the parents eat and what the chidren ate since they are babys it can cause children to eat more candy or unhealthy in general. At the end kids can always chose by themselves what they eat, but I do think that parents play an important role.

• I think obesity can be caused by bad parenting. I think that if you don't teach your sons to have a great diet once they get out of your house they are going to start eating junk food. I also think that the prices of healthy food is also a big cause of this. Sometimes it's easier for the parents to get junk food because it's cheaper.

• I think child obesity can be caused by bad parenting, not controling what they should and should not eat, but I think it is mostly caused by genetics. If the parents are obese than the child could come out that way too.  It could come out with a slower metabolism or diabetes that could have ran with the family line.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker