Is being an only child better than having siblings?

There are a lot of pros and cons to having siblings or being an only child. Being a person with many siblings I obviously have the opinion that it would be much better to be an only child for a very long list of reasons. While only children have the opposite opinion; also with a list of reasons.

Studies show only children are spoiled because their parents don't have any other children to take care of. Having one child rather than many or just multiple is much easier on parents money and time-wise and makes it much easier to deal with their child's needs. Studies also show that children with no siblings tend to have a closer relationship with their parents. But they also tend to have higher IQs because their parents have higher expectations for them.

Meanwhile, children with many siblings are a lot less lonely or bored. Many siblings have a bond that's there despite fighting due to the fact that they are around each other every day. A lot of people also point out for future reference they would like to have nieces or nephews which could be a given with siblings. But being around your siblings all of the time(especially with age gaps or siblings that don't share the same hobbies or interests) can lead to arguments/conflict. And your parents spend a lot on each child every year so they won't have as much money-wise as only children.

Being a child with many siblings I think it would be amazing to be an only child. I love my siblings but I also hate them from time to time. I feel like it would be nice to have my parent's full focus or experience life without having to divide everything between my siblings and me; among many other things.

Which do you think would be better? (Only child or siblings)

Why do you think so?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree theyre really annoying but I like having them around for when I'm in trouble or just someone to talk to. I also think they're gonna be a lot better in the future when I don't have to see them everyday.

• From personal experience, I would have rather been an only child because all three of my siblings agitate me. They don't leave me alone and my oldest younger sibling knows how to make my life harder in every way. I only need my dog to keep my company.

• That's hilarious. I feel the same way sometimes but I love my siblings. Although my sister scares me with how much she knows about me she could end my whole career in two seconds. But I agree I would like to experience life with no siblings and just my dog.

• I feel like its better for kids to have atleast one sibling because most kids who do not have any siblings are raised to be spoiled and sometimes those kids grow up to be rude because they want everyone to spoil them. I also think giving your child a sibling will give them a life long friend.

• I've noticed a lot of research says that only children are spoiled brats and some of them are. But a lot of the ones I know are really nice and the really smart thing is accurate too. Their parents either put a lot of pressure on them to do well or don't at all and it shows in their personality and grades. They usually tend to be really smart and independent or bratty cuz their parents hand things to them. A lot of people don't fit the stereotype at all though; it's just research.

• I personally was a only child for a while but then I got a brother and then a cupple years later got a sister but to be honest I might sometimes want to kill my brother and my sister sometimes but I think it is good to have a least one other sibling so I like that I have siblings. 

• I've always wondered what it's like to not have siblings, but I pretty much experience it when they go to their moms house every other week. I enjoy having time to myself and having my parents focus but I definitely couldn't do it full time. Siblings are really cool when your parents expect a lot from you cuz they have multiple people to focus on. But I do wanna kill them 80% of the time. Still thankful for the 20% though.

• i dont think that it is better to be an only child for many reasons some of the reasons i think  that is right beacuse you will have help around the house with things and that when you are introuble your little siblings can cover for you or older siblins can give you money and rides 

• Exactly my sister always drove me places and paid for stuff for me and now that I can do it my siblings are a lot more thankful for me. I definitely wouldn't like being an only child when I get in trouble. Cuz whos phone am I gonna play when I get mine taken? My siblings always got my back so I am beyond thankful for them. Especially if I can just bargain with rides and money now that we're older.

• I am the oldest of 5 siblings, so I have a lot of people looking up to me. I do sometimes wish that I was an only child, but there is sometimes I am glad I have siblings. My mom is in a better mood when the kids go to their fathers, but I wouldn't have anyone to pick on or prank. So there are ups and down, but If I had the chance I would take being an only child I would. Just to see the difference.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker