Is Animal Testing Ethical?

This has been argued over for many years and has lots of information supporting both sides of the argument. For a long time humans have tested on animals with almost never questioning if it is ethical or not. Animal testing includes many levels of cuelty expanding from non violent things like changing rats DNA to make them glow to very cruel things like sewing cats eyes closed and making rabbits inhale toxic fumes. In some situations its very beneficial though, like when they tested on cows creating a vacination for small pox.

Some people believe that animals have rights just like humans and should not be able to be tested on. Some evidence backing that up is that a lot of the time its not reliable information as animals are different than humans. Different things are toxic to animals then humans and animals dont get the same drug side effects as humans, so this causes non reliable information and can be serverly dangerous to animals whitout the humans having a clue. It is also argued that animal experimentations are very expensive and there are many people willing to be tested on for a smaller amount of money. 

Many people believe that animal testing is fine and ethics arent a problem as long as it is for the benefit of humans. Because they arent humans and cant express their feelings to us, there is nothing unethical about it. Others argue that just because they dont express their feelings does not mean that they dont have feelings so its completely unethical to test on them. The people that think ethics dont matter believe that humans arent being hurt or damaged in these tests so its better to have animals as they are not as important.

I believe that testing on animals is not ethical in some situations like when they but the animal in danger or risk its life, but if its not in risk of harming the animal or being cruel to it then its fine. Killing animals is not ok while experimenting as you would not want it to be done to humans but if it is a harmless test I dont see any reason not to do it. Just imagine if you didnt have any choice or saying in it and the government just picked you out to be experimented on and there was a chance of you dying from it. that does not seem very ethical to me and that is why I believe that this should not be allowed. Yes, there may be a few instances where they think it wont cause harm and it does but that should not happen to often.

Sources

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Source 4

Questions

Do you believe that testing on animals is ethical?

If we could not test on animals would there be an alternitive option to test on?

If paid would you be willing to become a test subject?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I can see why there are arguments about this. I think that testing medicine on animals is good because we need to know if it's safe for us humans.

• I can see both sides to this argument. We need things to test medicine and other objects to see that they are safe for humans. However I can see why some people think its cruel but we need to know if the drugs we put into our bodies are safe for us. 

• Yes, I agree as both sides of the argument make complete sense to me but I lean towards it being unethical.  But, even though I think its mostly unethical I think we need to do it on something and we cant do it on humans so we use animals as an alternitive.

• I think it is ethical to test on animals if it is going to provide stuff that we need to test and if we will find out what need from the animal. if we could not test on animals I think that there would be other ways to test. I would not want to get paid to become a test subject. 

• I agree that testing on animals is more ethical if its for a greater good like testing on things for sicknesses and medicines. I also would never want to be used as a test subject even if I was getting paid because of the risks that it has.

• I think it's ethical if it's tested on annoying animals honestly. Like I don't care about rats and nasty animals like that. I don't think there are many other options for animals that we can test. I'd be willing to test depending on the money amount.

• I think it can be ethical it all epends. It should only be allowed if it doesnt affect the population of the animal. The alternate ways we coud test is on humans but I think people do not agree with this. I would voulenteer if I wouldnt be harmed in the testing.

• I agree that it depends on things if its ethical or not like whether the animal is harmed of not. I feel that even if the scientists said I wouldnt be harmed in the testing I still wouldnt want to be as there is always a chance you end up with something after the tests are done.

• Yea, I think animal testing is ethical because there is a bunch of animals out there, more than humans. If we had an alternate we could do the humans that are at the end of their lives if they choose to do so. I would not do it even if you paid me millions and millions of dollars to do so like leave my body alone.

• I also would never want any tests ran on my body at least until I am dead no matter how much money is offered. That is good reasoning but it still seems unethical to kill something that never got a chance to live its full life.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker