Iowa and Nebraska Tornadoes

On Saturday March 26 a couple of tornadoes hit Nebraska and Iowa. They devastated the surrounding towns. Meanwhile, some towns did get hit, and most houses were demolished.

In Iowa at least 3 tornadoes touched ground. One of the tornadoes had hit Minden. After the storm 3-4 people were hospitalized and 20 people were rescued from the wreckage. A tornado hit Lincoln Nebraska, as well as Omaha Nebraska. It is spring so tornadoes are going to be happening more often. The reason so many tornadoes happen in Iowa and Nebraska is because we are in tornado alley. 

Many tornadoes happen in Nebraska and Iowa. One tornado had hit Iowa in May of 1968. The tornado had hit on May 15. 13 people were dead and 450 were injured. It was an F5 and the funnel of the tornado was 600 yards wide. It had passed through Charles City and damaged over 1,500 homes.

The most recent tornado that had caused death in Iowa, was on June 11, 2008. 4 people had died, but 48 were injured during the storm. It was an F3 and the funnel was 440 yards wide. It had hit multiple cities because its path was 7.5 miles long. In Nebraska a tornado hit on May 8 1965. The tornado was an F4 and had killed 4 people. This had happened in Primrose, Nebraska.

These tornadoes were horrible, and I hope people that got hit by it are safe.

Questions:

Did you watch the tornado outside?

Did you or anybody you know get hit by the tornado?

Sources:

https://www.3newsnow.com/weather/weather-history/may-8-1965-violent-tornadoes-in-central-nebraska 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2015/05/11/iowa-deadliest-tornadoes/27132509/

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/minden-shleby-tornado-damage-summary-outbreak 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good and timley topic choice Ulyssa. Your summary is good but could have been expanded a bit. You only replied two times and that is worth 30 points.

• No, I was in Des Moines at a Zack Byran Concert. Yeah, I know jeb sondermen got hit pretty bad a co-worker of mine lived in Minden.

• I was watching the tornado driving around, but it wasnt really close to my house at all. After the tornadoes on friday I was helping people out and mostly all day saturday as well. I new multiple people that got hit by the tornadoes.

• I didn't see any tornados outside however I got close to seeing on, luckly it didnt hit our house and everyone in my family is safe and was never hurt. Nobody that I knew got hurt by the torando. But I did see all the damage.

• I do watch the tornadoes because I find them somewhat interesting and sometimes even pretty and although they are scary I find them beautiful and interesting. I have never been hit by a tornado but I do know one of my friends farms was hit and destroyed by the tornado that happened on Friday.

• My family and I watched the recent tornado from our front porch. It looked very dangerous. Personally, I was not effected by the tornado. But, many people from my church, and other people that I know were. 

• Me and my family watched the tornado from out house, and it was huge. It was heading around the area near our house, but it didn't hit us or do much damage. We did help neighbors and other people over the weekend and donated to Neola for people in Minden and the surrounding area. 

• I was watching the tornado outside it was a very big one. The tornado wasn't close to my house, but I went out to help people trim and knock down trees. multiple people I know got hit or affected by the tornado from small damages to extensive damage. 

• I did watch the tornado because it was pretty close to my house. I sat on my porch and watched it with my mom because it was not coming our way, it went past us. It hit our neighbors pretty hard though, so we had to help them clean up over the weekend. 

• I did go outside to watch the tornado for a little bit until I went back inside because of my parents complaining about me being outside. I was also watching the videos of the tornado while it was moving. There is this guy Ryan Hall Y'all on youtube that has storm chasers going after the storm while also giving out information on what is happening over the US. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker