Iowa and Nebraska Tornadoes

On Saturday March 26 a couple of tornadoes hit Nebraska and Iowa. They devastated the surrounding towns. Meanwhile, some towns did get hit, and most houses were demolished.

In Iowa at least 3 tornadoes touched ground. One of the tornadoes had hit Minden. After the storm 3-4 people were hospitalized and 20 people were rescued from the wreckage. A tornado hit Lincoln Nebraska, as well as Omaha Nebraska. It is spring so tornadoes are going to be happening more often. The reason so many tornadoes happen in Iowa and Nebraska is because we are in tornado alley. 

Many tornadoes happen in Nebraska and Iowa. One tornado had hit Iowa in May of 1968. The tornado had hit on May 15. 13 people were dead and 450 were injured. It was an F5 and the funnel of the tornado was 600 yards wide. It had passed through Charles City and damaged over 1,500 homes.

The most recent tornado that had caused death in Iowa, was on June 11, 2008. 4 people had died, but 48 were injured during the storm. It was an F3 and the funnel was 440 yards wide. It had hit multiple cities because its path was 7.5 miles long. In Nebraska a tornado hit on May 8 1965. The tornado was an F4 and had killed 4 people. This had happened in Primrose, Nebraska.

These tornadoes were horrible, and I hope people that got hit by it are safe.

Questions:

Did you watch the tornado outside?

Did you or anybody you know get hit by the tornado?

Sources:

https://www.3newsnow.com/weather/weather-history/may-8-1965-violent-tornadoes-in-central-nebraska 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2015/05/11/iowa-deadliest-tornadoes/27132509/

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/minden-shleby-tornado-damage-summary-outbreak 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I was outide at a point and was able to see the tornado from a distnace. I went inside when the tornado got closer. I know some families who had damage to their property and I went to help clean up.

• I was actually at a dance competition on Friday, so I didn't get to wqtch the tornado. We were in a shelter at the MAC from the time we arrived to over an hour and a half later. I do know some people who got hit pretty bad by the tornado.

• No, I didn't see the tornado outside, it's the first one I've had to witness since I just arrived to live in Iowa, so I actually felt very nervous and I wasn't even going out. I don't know anyone who has been hit by the thunder.

• I live in earling the tornado didn't really touch us so I just hid in the basement, I don't know anybody who got hit by tornado personally.

• No, I did not watch the tornado outise, who on earth would wait outside to see the tornado? That thing kills you brother. I did not get hit by the tornado, however, a junior I know did. I felt really bad, I am glad we will be helping with the cleaning of some areas as a community.

• I did watch the tornado outside, I was at Fresh Encounter at a graduation party and we all went outside to watch it. I know a couple of people that were affected/hit by the tornado. Some were affect more than others. One person's barns were all flattened, another only had trees that had fallen.

• I did not watch the tornado because I didn't think it would be that big so I was just in my basement. I do know people who got hit by it and it was a mile away from are house so we were close.

• I did watch the tornados that happened on Friday. I was pretty far away from the tornadoes because I live like 15 minutes away from where they all hit around us. I do know some people who were affected by these tornadoes. I think that a lot of us were not prepared for tornadoes because they usually never actually happen when we have tornado watches. 

• I did not watch the tornado happen, because I was in Des Moines at a concert. The tornado was about a quarter mile from my house, and my dad was sending videos to our family of the tornado. There are a couple people I know who got hit and effected by the tornado.

• 12437621280?profile=original

YES, i watched it i was scared, because  i thought one of my friends was getting hit by the tornadoe. My parents friend Bob Richmen got hit and I helped pick up some salvagable stuff it was so sad to see it like that, becasue their house was so nice

http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/12437621280?profile=original
This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker