Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, a seven time-felon, was proven guilty for the murder of 32-year old Kate Steinle. Jose will serve three years as of Friday. In the court on Friday, Zarate was uncuffed and smiled at the defense team while shaking their hands including his new attorney Tony Serra. The murder took place in San Francisco in 2015. Jose is suspected of being turned over to the U.S. Marshals, he is facing new charges in federal court. 

The original conviction was felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition. It is now being changed to "Illegally Present Alien in possession of a firearm and ammunition," according to fox news. The Federal charges could carry a hefty 10 years in federal prison. He is also planned to be deported for the sixth time. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/05/illegal-immigrant-who-killed-kate-steinle-sentenced-to-time-served.html

What are your thoughts on "Sanctuary Cities," such as San Francisco?

I disagree with Sanctuary cities because they aren't here legally. It is like hiding something that was stolen.

Should the United States have Sanctuary Cities? 

The United States should get rid of Sanctuary Cities or cut of federal funds to do away with the laws put in place. Because they are cities like that, more illegal immigrants are just going to keep coming in to the states illegally.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job on your summary. When you don’t have many replies, reply to everyone.
  • I disagree with Sanctuary Cities because they should have to follow the same rules as every other city in the United States. The United States don't have to completely get a rid of them, but they at least need to make sure they follow the same rules as everywhere else.

• If they government knows that illegal immigrants go to Sanctuary Cities than I think they need to seriously consider whether or not they should have them; finding the pros and cons of them and making a wise decision. But like most problems we have, they take awhile to be resolved.

•  I wish Sanctuary Cities were here legally, but illegally is pretty wrong in my opinion. Yes, they are coming here for a better life, but their lives would be a lot better if they waited an extra five to ten years. I know that is a long 'waiting list', but they would have a life without excess stress causing them. I agree with you, if we keep the Sanctuary Cities, more undocumented immigrants will be traveling here unsafely. 

• I think they are a great investment. If everyone was welcome it most certainly wouldn't be peaches and cream. On the other hand it would still be better than how it is now. if we let everyone in there would be no struggle.  I understand you have to work your way up or whatever but these people have been through enough. Let them be. We should feel honored to be the safe place for so many. I think we should have many sanctuary cities. The  more the merrier. We can't use this news story to judge every immigrant we lay eyes on. 

• If we let everybody in there would be no struggle, no judge about that. But we also can't promise that they aren't terrorist or part of an organization that is against the U.S. If they want to be in the Land of the Free. We need to be sure that they are no harm to our country. They need to apply for citizenship. It may take time but they need to be patient, so they don't have to worry about deportation.  

• I think Sanctuary cities should only be used for refugees fleeing their country. Illegal immigrants need to become a United States citizen if they are planning on staying here long term. I understand that some immigrants can't afford to go through citizenship, and I agree that this problem needs to be addressed, however Sanctuary Cities just encourage people to stay as illegal immigrants.

• If the illegal immigrants come for refuge then it should be documented that they are there. They should also try to apply for citizenship and if they can't afford citizenship then how are they supposed to afford living here and especially paying taxes. 

• I think "Sanctuary Cities" should have more laws passed to help protect not only people born in the united states, but all the citizens in the city. Sanctuary Cities may allow illegal Immigrants a place to stay without the fear of being deported and many of those immigrants may be good people, but there is the risk of murderers, and evil immigrants crossing the border and using the Sanctuary cities as a safe place to run to so they can commit more crimes. Sanctuary Cities should have more laws passed to keep everyone safe. Laws that allow officers to do backround checks on the immagrants to make sure their city is safe.

• Exactly, but how does the cities know that they are good people. The silent people are more dangerous then the ones who act out. The silent people can also be good people just trying to make a safe place for their families. If you want to be here and aren't hiding, then they should have no problem apply for U.S. Citizenship. If they are good people then they should be fine.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker