How Santa Claus Came to be

Santa Claus—otherwise known as Saint Nicholas or Kris Kringle—has a long history steeped in Christmas traditions. Today, he is thought of mainly as the jolly man in red who brings toys to good girls and boys on Christmas Eve, but his story stretches all the way back to the 3rd century, when Saint Nicholas walked the earth and became the patron saint of children.

Gift-giving, mainly centered around children, has been an important part of the Christmas celebration since the holiday’s rejuvenation in the early 19th century. Stores began to advertise Christmas shopping in 1820, and by the 1840s, newspapers were creating separate sections for holiday advertisements, which often featured images of the newly-popular Santa Claus. In 1841, thousands of children visited a Philadelphia shop to see a life-size Santa Claus model. It was only a matter of time before stores began to attract children, and their parents, with the lure of a peek at a “live” Santa Claus. In the early 1890s, the Salvation Army needed money to pay for the free Christmas meals they provided to needy families. They began dressing up unemployed men in Santa Claus suits and sending them into the streets of New York to solicit donations. Those familiar Salvation Army Santas have been ringing bells on the street corners of American cities ever since. 

This is the story of the mythical Santa Claus, for those who did not know, but today I am gonna talk about how some people think “Santa Claus” is still real. Nowadays Santa Claus is a mythical person that parents say to their children in order to entertain them and encourage them to be a better child. It is believed that Santa has a naughty list and a nice list to determine who deserves a present on Christmas Morning. Parents usually invoke these lists as a way to ensure their children are on their best behavior.

Santa Claus is nowadays just a tale that makes children be nicer, but there are still teenagers that believe in it. 

Do you think Santa Claus Is real?

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Tolga,

Much of this has been direclty plagiarized from the source you listed. Be sure to always summarize in your own words when using sources. Schoold policy dictates a zero.

• I don't think Santa is real. I never have truly believed in him either for different reasons. I do think that parents letting their kids believe in him is a good thing.

• Santa Claus is indeed a real person. According to the very factual movie of the Santa Clause, Santa simply reincarnates within the person responsible for their death, which is why it would be incredibly easy to find his killer. Which begs the question, does that mean all Santas had to commit such a crime in order to become Santa? But seriously, Santa being a marketting icon around the holiday time especially for kids has been around the market for 2 centuries now, and it doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.

• No I do not think that santa clause is real because it is just an old myth told to kids to make them behave around christmas time.

• I don't belive in santa anymore. I personally stopped beliving in him around 4th or 5th grade. The reason behind this is because I found half my christmas presents in a closet one year. since then my parents have just asked me what I want or would like for christmas.

• I don't think Santa is real, he's just based off a real person that used to live. Parents just use Santa as an excuse to make their kids act better. Santa's a big mascot for Christmas, he's on everything and he promotes lots of sales around Christmas time.

• I do not think that Santa Claus is real. I stopped believing in him a long time ago. However, I think that believing as a kid was a fun thing. It made Christmas extra fun and special. Now that I don't believe in him, it isn't as fun on Christmas time.

• I don't think that teenagers think that Santa is real. I think that Santa is now used for children. Especially to keep them from not causing trouble. I think that Santa is a made up charactor created to keep children nice untill christmas.

• No santa clause is charactor created to keep children nice untill cristmas 

•  I believe that Santa Claus could very well be real, but it's highly unlikely because if he is as portraited, how does he fit in the chimney? There's no way that anybody that round is able to fit in a chimney. With how much evil there's in the world, the world could use a lot more hope. I believe he isn't real because to go to over 2 billion houses in the world you'd have to be going at lightspeed to be able to. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker