History of The Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

The History Of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup

The famous Peanut Butter Cup treat, can be traced back to 1928. The Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup was invented/created by H.B. Reese, an employee at Hershey, in Pennsylvania; but the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup was not invented in the Hershey factory. It was actually created in H.B. Reese’s basement, hence the name. H.B. used the chocolate from the Hershey company, and peanut butter to create what we know today, as the peanut butter cup. At the time H.B. was no longer employed at Hershey. According to most, the only thing H.B. actually did was roast and create his own peanut butter. These PB cups became a huge success. 

H.B. then, later on employed 62 people. At the time of his death, his sales were around 125 million. 6 or the 62 employees were his own sons. These sons then took over the company. The Reese brothers then merged with Hershey Chocolate Corporation in 1963. Within 6 years, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup was the top seller for Hershey's Chocolate Corporation. In 2012, Reese's became the best-selling candy brand in the United States with sales of $2.603 billion. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups continue to grow today and expand.

Now, you can find a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in almost every convenience store you go into. As the Hershey company continues to grow new Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup products come out. They now have mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups in different sizes and or shapes. These being Christmas trees, pumpkins, eggs, etc., for the corresponding holiday. They also have things like Reese's Pieces, Reese’s Puffs, and Reese’s Fast Break. 

Most recently, they have created a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup with caramel in the inside that will be released to stores very soon. As well as opening up stores and museums to not only show off the product, but to sell new items and merchandise. This merchandise is clothing, hats, cups, really anything you could think of. Personally, I love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups! Writing this paper made me want one! I love the peanut butter in them, especially with ice cream!

Do you like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups? 

If so, what kind is your favorite? 

Do you think H.B.'s work deserves the credit he got? 

Sources- 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reese%27s_Peanut_Butter_Cups

https://www.hersheyland.com/about/history.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. My favorite are the regular chocolate ones but I dont have them as much anyways. In my opinion H.B deserves lots of credit cause he created a very popular and a candy that so many people love. 

• I like Reese's peanut butter cups. I think that they are one of the best candy's. I would say that the original cups are the best because I like the flavor better than the other ones. I think that he deserves the credit because I think that he deserves it because he created them.

• I like reese's peanut butter cups, in fact they are proably my favorite chocolate. My favorite kind is the milk chocolate, because I have never had a different kind. I believe he should get the credit for creating them.

• I like Reese's peanut butter cups. They're probably not my absolute favorite candy but I don't mind them. I have only really had the signature pb cup but I'm sure the other kinds are really good as well. I think he deserves to get the credit for making them.

• I realy like reese's peanut butter cups and my faroite kind is probley the Reese's thins because they have more choclate  then peanut buter.. I think that H.B. deserves all of the credit for his work in creating the Reese. 

• I dont think I would like the thins because my favorite part is the peanut butter!

• I don't really like Reese's Peanut Butter cups, I would rather have a different type of candy like twix or a snickers bar. I do think that he should get credit, considering that he came up with the idea and he made it in his basement. I think he should get all the credit

• Personally, I love them. But I also love snickers or a twix.

• I really like reese's peanut butter cups, especially since my favorite food is peanut butter. I will eat any reese's peanut butter cup, however, I like the regular ones the best. I think H.B. made a really popular candy, so he deserved all the credit he got.

• I do like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. For a really long time I liked the outrageous reese's bar, but now I like the original cup better than all the other kinds they have made. I definitely think that H.B didn't get as much credit has he should have got.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker