History of The Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

The History Of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup

The famous Peanut Butter Cup treat, can be traced back to 1928. The Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup was invented/created by H.B. Reese, an employee at Hershey, in Pennsylvania; but the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup was not invented in the Hershey factory. It was actually created in H.B. Reese’s basement, hence the name. H.B. used the chocolate from the Hershey company, and peanut butter to create what we know today, as the peanut butter cup. At the time H.B. was no longer employed at Hershey. According to most, the only thing H.B. actually did was roast and create his own peanut butter. These PB cups became a huge success. 

H.B. then, later on employed 62 people. At the time of his death, his sales were around 125 million. 6 or the 62 employees were his own sons. These sons then took over the company. The Reese brothers then merged with Hershey Chocolate Corporation in 1963. Within 6 years, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup was the top seller for Hershey's Chocolate Corporation. In 2012, Reese's became the best-selling candy brand in the United States with sales of $2.603 billion. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups continue to grow today and expand.

Now, you can find a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in almost every convenience store you go into. As the Hershey company continues to grow new Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup products come out. They now have mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups in different sizes and or shapes. These being Christmas trees, pumpkins, eggs, etc., for the corresponding holiday. They also have things like Reese's Pieces, Reese’s Puffs, and Reese’s Fast Break. 

Most recently, they have created a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup with caramel in the inside that will be released to stores very soon. As well as opening up stores and museums to not only show off the product, but to sell new items and merchandise. This merchandise is clothing, hats, cups, really anything you could think of. Personally, I love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups! Writing this paper made me want one! I love the peanut butter in them, especially with ice cream!

Do you like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups? 

If so, what kind is your favorite? 

Do you think H.B.'s work deserves the credit he got? 

Sources- 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reese%27s_Peanut_Butter_Cups

https://www.hersheyland.com/about/history.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like the mini ones too! They definetly are easier to eat.

• I like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. My favorite are the regular chocolate ones but I dont have them as much anyways. In my opinion H.B deserves lots of credit cause he created a very popular and a candy that so many people love. 

• I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups but I don't eat them often. My favorite kinds are the ones that are themed around holidays/seasons. I think H.B. deserves the credit he received. He had a good idea and executed it well, and he ended up making one of my favorite candies.

• I would agree, the ones with the holidays are way better. Like the christmas trees, or candy eggs.

• I like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. My favorite kind of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are the white ones. H.B deserves a lot of credit he made Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

• I do love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups but I don't really eat candy much like I used to. I love all of the different kinds of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups they all taste very good in my opinion. H.B deserves a lot of credit on what he created he made one of the best candies in the world he deserves everything.

• I love them as well! They are one of my favorite candies.

• I do like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and my favorite kind is just the origanol Reese's cups. I think that H.B. does deserve the credit as he put in alot of work and he started the peanut butter cubs that we know today. 

• Yes I like reeses peanut butter cups. My favorite is the white chocholate. The first time I had a white recese cup I new it was going to be my new favorite. I dont thin he decivers all the credit he gets. I think he got to much credit.

• Ive never tried the white choclate! I will have to try it some day.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker