History of Shaved Ice (Tropical Sno)

Have you ever wondered how and where things were invented? In this case, I will tell you about where shaved ice came from, you may also know it as Tropical Sno or a sno cone. Shaved ice has been around for a long time, but has continued to evolve over the years. The start of shaved ice was in 618-907 AD. And was created by using hand tools and ice blocks. This was reserved for royalty only, and was a huge luxury.

Shaved ice also has had a huge cultural significance in our world. It can be found all over the world, especially during a country's hot summer months. It's a huge staple in Japanese summer festivals and celebrations. Shaved ice is also commonly known in Hawaii, due to Japanese immigrants in the 1900’s bringing over the popular treat. Shaved ice quickly became a favorite treat among Hawaiians and visitors. 

In recent years, shaved ice has become more popular and more modern for our day. Electric ice shavers were invented, and popularity began to spread. It's now available in restaurants, food trucks, and even homes. Now they are creating more flavors, and topping that will create new experiences for people. Overall, I think shaved ice has came a long way, and will  only continue to get better as time goes on. Personally, I love shaved ice, it's one of my favorite desserts.

Questions- 

1. Do you like shaved ice, if so, what do you like about it?

2. Have you ever had Tropical Sno in Harlan?

3. Do you think shaved ice will continue to get better as the years go on?

Sources- 

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaii-stories/food-and-entertainment/shave-ice-history#:~:text=To%20cool%20off%2C%20Japanese%20immigrants,shave%20ice%E2%80%94not%20shaved%20ice.

https://hawaiianshavedice.com/blogs/news/a-taste-of-shaved-ice-history

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Hot days are the best for Tropical Sno! I love it on a hot summer day!

• Yes, I do like shaved ice especially on a nice hot summer day something with flavor and is refreshing is very nice. Yes, I have had tropical sno in harlan and it is pretty good. Yes, I do think that shaved ice will get better becasue more people are starting to enjoy it. 

• I like shaved ice when there is a lot of flavor in it. I've had tropical sno in Harlan and I like how much syrup they put on it. I think shaved ice will continue to be a thing, but im not sure if it will get more popular or just stay the same as it is now.

• I love the amount of syrup on shaved ice.

• I think shaved ice or a snow cone is very good and all the favers that they come in a lot of people can enjoy snow cones.

• I don't like chaved ice because I never got interested into flavored ice which means I've never been to tropical sno before. Maybe when I get older I will try it and I think they will add more flavors in the future.

• You should defintley try it some time. Its not the same as a sno cone and is awesome!

• I do like shaved ice because of the flavor but sometimes I dont like it as the flavor all sinks to the bottom. I have had tropical sno in harlan and I used to love it. I think shaved ice might grow a little over time but if it does I dont know if it will a lot.

• I like shaved ice and all of the flavors that you can choose. I have had tropical sno in Harlan and it is very good. I think they will continue to make more flavors.

• I like pinapple flavor the best. How about you?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker