History of Shaved Ice (Tropical Sno)

Have you ever wondered how and where things were invented? In this case, I will tell you about where shaved ice came from, you may also know it as Tropical Sno or a sno cone. Shaved ice has been around for a long time, but has continued to evolve over the years. The start of shaved ice was in 618-907 AD. And was created by using hand tools and ice blocks. This was reserved for royalty only, and was a huge luxury.

Shaved ice also has had a huge cultural significance in our world. It can be found all over the world, especially during a country's hot summer months. It's a huge staple in Japanese summer festivals and celebrations. Shaved ice is also commonly known in Hawaii, due to Japanese immigrants in the 1900’s bringing over the popular treat. Shaved ice quickly became a favorite treat among Hawaiians and visitors. 

In recent years, shaved ice has become more popular and more modern for our day. Electric ice shavers were invented, and popularity began to spread. It's now available in restaurants, food trucks, and even homes. Now they are creating more flavors, and topping that will create new experiences for people. Overall, I think shaved ice has came a long way, and will  only continue to get better as time goes on. Personally, I love shaved ice, it's one of my favorite desserts.

Questions- 

1. Do you like shaved ice, if so, what do you like about it?

2. Have you ever had Tropical Sno in Harlan?

3. Do you think shaved ice will continue to get better as the years go on?

Sources- 

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaii-stories/food-and-entertainment/shave-ice-history#:~:text=To%20cool%20off%2C%20Japanese%20immigrants,shave%20ice%E2%80%94not%20shaved%20ice.

https://hawaiianshavedice.com/blogs/news/a-taste-of-shaved-ice-history

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like shaved ice because it's a nice refreshing way to cool down on a hot day. Yes, I have had tropical snow from Harlan and I thought it was very good. Even tho I think shaved ice is very good the way it is. I believe there will be improvements.

• I really like shaved ice. Its so refreshing and super good. I like that there are so many flavors and you can mix and match alot of random stuff. I have visited tropical sno in harlan. I don't live too far away so I always walk there with my mom.

• Me too! I love tropical sno because you can get something new every time, their are so many different options to try!

• I like shaved ice, I enjoy the flavor of it and the coldness/refreshness that it gives. I also enjoy the memories that go along with it. When I think of shaved ice, I think of memories that I have had while eating shaved ice. I think that shaved ice will continue to get better.

• I enjoy getting a nice glod snow cone during the warm crapy summers. I have always liked snow cones for as long as I can remember and I think that tropical sno is the perfect treat when you want something sweet and refreshing.

• I like shaved ice because it has a strong flavor and is a good dessert to get if you are going to be active. It is light and so it doesn't way you down. I have been to Tropical Snow in Harlan multiple times.

• I would agree! Its very light on the stomach and doesnt make you feel sick. 

• I love shaved ice, especially because there is so many flavors you can choose from now. I have had Tropical Sno a couple times in Harlan. I feel like the more we expirement with shaved ice it will get better and better in the future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker