History of Mellification "Honey, Im dead"

Human mummy confection. This is a medicinal substance created by soaking human cadavers in honey.  This is a gruesome process to mummify people to later consume as a form of medicine. This is believed to have originated in ancient Arabia and later made its way to China in the 16th century. Honey was used for many things for it was packed with energy and was used as a cure-all. Honey is high in sugar causing it to suck water from bacteria so essentially drying the microbes to death. Typically Older men would donate themselves to the mellification process this happens while still alive. First, they would switch to a honey-only diet, they would then be sealed in a stone coffin filled with honey for a century. Then they were ready to purchase. After about a century they would have turned it into confection used to heal wounds and broken bones. 

Alexander the Great was reportedly submerged in honey, he wanted to keep himself presentable for public display.  Honey itself affects around 60 types of bacteria such as fungi and viruses.  There is evidence of honey being used in burial rites. Modern embalming consists of replacing all the body's natural fluids and replacing them with a preservative liquid. They used different methods such as stitches to close jaws and spiked eye caps to keep the eyelids shut. In Europe, they practiced different methods, such as removing the internal organs and immersing the body in alcohol.

What do you think about this would you want to experience this?

Would you try some of this confection for healing?

What will you do with your body afterlife?

http://https://www.poppysfunerals.co.uk/talking-death/honey-herbs-and-alcohol-the-surprising-history-of-embalming/#:~:text=Mellification&text=Alexander%20the%20Great%20was%20also,helps%20to%20dry%20out%20microbes.

http://https://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.org/articles/2015-05-honey-im-dead/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would never want to experience this. I don't want my body to be preserved, once I'm dead I want to be gone. I would never try the confection. I think it's disgusting that they used dead people to try and heal themselves. I think it's borderline cannibalism. I want to be cremated so I can still 'be with loved ones' or in a special place.

• I agree with wanting to just be gone but It would be cool if we could still have our loved ones bodies preserved. I think being cremated is a good option especially since your loved ones can keep your ashes and spread them where you would like.

• I wouldn't want to go through with this because it seems like a long process, especially when you have to switch to an all-honey diet just because you think you are going to die. I also wouldn't want to try the confection for healing because I know I am eating a person and that grosses me out. 

• I definitely agree with you about changing your day-to-day lifestyle because you have a suspicion you're going to die. I think that honey is gross but this process seems super cool and the fact that honey can preserve your body for a long time is a cool concept for me. 

• I wouldn't want to be covered honey until I die that's a very scary situation and very disgusting way. No I wouldn't because I think it will tastes disgusting on eating someone elses body. I don't know to be honest maybe i want to be buried than being covered in honey.

• I would not want to go through this I would rather just have my body buried under the ground. I will allow my body for donating to someone who needs it. 

• I would not like to experience this personally, this sounds very weird to me and the process seems scary. I would not do this to myself, it seems pointless and sounds like torcher. I would not try this type of confection for any healing. It's cannibalism if you eat it, and it would feel wrong to use it. 

• I agree that in a way it is kinda cannibalism, but you could just eat the honey if you wanted to. I think that there is so many different ways for us to heal that we don't know about so this is kinda cool. I would not have this happen to me.

• I don't think I would ever want to go through a process like this. I always thought mummification was strange, and honey makes it even weirder. It's possible I would try this process for healing but as a last resort. After I pass, I want my body to be either cremated or buried. 

• I agree mummification is a weird thing to think about but with honey, it kind of changes it to be on a different level of weirdness. I think this is definitely a last resort kind've thing I think it all depends on your mindset and if you have an open mind about these things. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker