History of Daylight savings

Daylight savings time has been around for a long time. How long you may ask. Well it is thought that people used some similar practices thousands of years ago however,  it was started in 1908 in Canada but it never came to the United States in 1918 with the standard time act.

After Indiana decided to join the majority of the country and use daylight savings time in 2006 the only two states that don’t use it are Hawaii and Arizona. On march 15, 2022 the US senate passed the Sunshine Protection act. The act would make daylight saving permanent even through the winter months. This would cause us to have less sun in the morning and more in the evening. 

In WWII from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945 there was something called war time which was just year round daylight saving time in the United states. This was introduced by Franklin D. Roosevelt.  Time zones were called “Central War Time”, “Easter War time” etc. From 1945 to 1966 there were no daylight savings rules which caused a lot of confusion throughout the country until the uniform time act was established. This gave the country a Daylight savings schedule while allowing states to opt out. There has been only one more year round daylight saving period since then which was during the 1973 Oil embargo. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/daylight-saving-usa.html

Do you like having daylight savings?

Do You think we shoul go to year round daylight savings?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Daylight savings doesn't really affect me, so I can't really say if I like it or not. It confuses me and I don't really understand the difference. Whichever one has getting darker later is the one I like more. It's depressing when it gets dark at 5 pm everyday.

• Personally I enjoy daylight savings, it doesn't effect my day to day life that much. I don't think I would even notice if we went the whole year round on daylight savings. However, my parents aren't huge fans of daylight savings, saying it's confusing and a waste of time.

• I don't like daylight savings, I don't get the point of it. It genuinely makes no sense to me. I couldn't tell you what it is. I don't think it should be all year round, I think it's dumb. All I know about daylight savings is that it takes away or adds an hour of sleep. I don't like loosing an hour of sleep. 

• I am not affected by daylight savings, but that's because I still do not understand the point of it. All I know is that you change the clock and either gain an hour of sleep or lose an hour of sleep. I wouldn't be mad if we went to year-round daylight savings. 

• I also wouldn't be mad if we went to year-round because then we wouldn't ever have to change the clocks.

• Daylight savings has always confused me, and I personally don't really understand it's purpose beside changing the clock. I don't think our days would be any different if we did away with daylight savings. I think we should have it all year round or not at all. 

• I agree because then we wouldn't have to deal with changing the clocks back and forth.

• I do not like daylight saving time. It messes up your sleep schedule and takes time away from other projects or things you could be doing. I think we should get rid of daylight savings overall. 

• Daylight savings time has always been a bad subject in my house my dad hates it. He says it takes away from the time we spend working on projects on our farm and its difficult to predict the time the sun might go down. However, there are some good sides to it as well, such as the sun being up earlier it is easier for people to go to school or work early so its safer. 

• I think that it would be better to go year round because then we would have an extra hour of daylight after school or after work.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker