History of Daylight savings

Daylight savings time has been around for a long time. How long you may ask. Well it is thought that people used some similar practices thousands of years ago however,  it was started in 1908 in Canada but it never came to the United States in 1918 with the standard time act.

After Indiana decided to join the majority of the country and use daylight savings time in 2006 the only two states that don’t use it are Hawaii and Arizona. On march 15, 2022 the US senate passed the Sunshine Protection act. The act would make daylight saving permanent even through the winter months. This would cause us to have less sun in the morning and more in the evening. 

In WWII from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945 there was something called war time which was just year round daylight saving time in the United states. This was introduced by Franklin D. Roosevelt.  Time zones were called “Central War Time”, “Easter War time” etc. From 1945 to 1966 there were no daylight savings rules which caused a lot of confusion throughout the country until the uniform time act was established. This gave the country a Daylight savings schedule while allowing states to opt out. There has been only one more year round daylight saving period since then which was during the 1973 Oil embargo. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/daylight-saving-usa.html

Do you like having daylight savings?

Do You think we shoul go to year round daylight savings?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Me personly, i think daylight savings is stupid. Everyone just gets confused and it messes up your sleep schuedle. I feel like if we were to change daylight saving, we should just get rid of it. If we were to make it year round it would be better than just having it for the few months.

• No, I wouldn't say I like having daylight savings at all because it just messes up your sleep schedule and makes things harder for me. I do not think that we should have Daylight Savings all year round because I think that we should not have Daylight Savings at all but if we had to have it then yes it should be year-round.

• I think we should just have daylight savings year round because then we would have more time for activitys. 

• i dont get how we have daylight savings time why take and hour away just to add it back. i dont really care if we did or didnt but it help so our clocks stop changing 

• I think we should go year round because that would stop the clocks from needing to be changed.

• I dont like having daylight saving because all the times change and it always seems later or earlier than it is. They changed the daylights saving time for the farmers but I am a farmer and I don't understand why they still change the time.

• I think the reason they don't change it back is so people still have time to do things after school or work.

• With daylight Savings I do sometimes love to have it then it sometimes does make the time go even faster during the day or or sometimes in the night when everyine goes to bed for the night.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker