Fentanyl Poisoning

Over 150 people die everyday from overdoses to synthetic opioids like fentanyl. Pretty recently it has been brought to the attention of the media that fentanyl poisoning has become a big issue when it comes to overdosing.The CDC says that fentanyl poisoning is the fastest growing among 14-23 years old. That's right, 14 year old kids buy drugs off the street and die from fentanyl poisoning because most drug dealers don’t even know that their drugs are laced with fentanyl. 

There are a lot of drugs sold on the streets that are intentionally laced with fentanyl those drugs are c*caine, h*roin, m*th, and many other drugs that are not medically prescribed. Fentanyl is a very powerful and highly addictive opioid similar to morphine but about 50-100 times more potent. Most of the overdose deaths are in fact due to fentanyl poisoning. Last year the overdose rate was 1,286 a 22% increase from the total in 2021. The worst part of all is it is almost impossible to tell if drugs have been laced with fentanyl, unless you have testing strips that tell you if the drug has been laced.

I personally don't think that things like this are looked at enough in school or anywhere else on the internet or even in everyday life. Especially since there are so many teens dying everyday from fentanyl poisoning. I don’t know many people who have died from fentanyl poisoning but I know that it is a really big issue In the first 9 months of 2021 9.5 million counterfeit pills were seized by the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) yet people still don’t seem to pay much attention to anything other than the elections and (respectfully) Queens Elisabeths death. I do see all of these are important but this is just as important and needs a lot more attention then it’s getting.

Sources

https://www.cdc.gov/ 

https://drugfree.org/ 

https://ncwrecovery.org/ 

Questions

Do you think that this is talked about enough?

What do you think about fentanyl poisoning?

Do you know anyone who has died from fentanyl poisoning?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I haven't heard enough about fentanyl poisoning nor is it ever talked about most days. Fentanyl poisoning is getting higher and higher every year even if the (DEA) seizes drugs or fentanyl theres still gonna be the cookers out there. Educationg people about fentanyl posioning is a must now.

• I agree educating people nowadays is a must.

• I do not think that fentanyl poising is talked about enough.  I do not personally know anybody who has died or had serious effects from fentanyl poisining, however I still know how dangerous it is. Educating more people about it could save several lives, and that is why it is important to talk about it.

• No, I haven't heard much about this topic. I feel like it should be talked about more because more people should be educated on the effects it has. Schools Don't really speak thaat much about drugs and OD. I have never met anyone who has ever had issues with this.

• No, I don't. But im glad you wrote about it. It seems like a pretty big issue nowdays. I think fentanyl poisoning is horrible, and I think it's sad that so many people get killed by it. I personally think that schools should educate all kids about this, it could help prevent more deaths. 

• I don't think that this is talked about enough. To be honest, I didn't even know what fentanyl poisoning was. I knew about drugs, and owhat overdosing can lead to, but I didn't relize that there might be something else that can effect you as well. I don't know anyone who was poisoned that way, and honestly, I think that if we educated students more about this stuff, we wouldn't have as many problems. If you think about it, all people say is "Don't do drugs" but that doesn't make kids now want to do them, and if we tell them about consequences, things that could actually happen, and statistics like these, they wouldn't want to or do drugs. 

• I agree schools should be more specific when it comes to encoraging students to not do drugs they could explain the risks and dangers of doing them.

• I don't think this is talked about as much as it should be.  I think it needs to be talk about way more because fentanyl poison is very dangers. I think that its very bad and also that when you think you have it then go to the doctors right away. I do not know any that has died from this.

• In my opinion Fentanyl poisoning is something us Amercans need to talk about more often. As someone who works in a work space with medications I've learned alot of things about different drugs and the effect they can have on people. Fentanyl is avery risky drug to take and I think students our age should get more informed about it because of the possible risks 

• I agree people should read more about the risks of taking fentanyl.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker