Electric Aviation

André Borschberg, a Swiss entrepreneur, is working on getting electric motors in plains. Last summer he designed and flew the solar impulse 2 which was a electric glider powered by solar panels that covered the wings. The Solar impulse 2 flew all the way around the world while being fully electric. André has now launched his new company, H55 and they have announced there first Aircraft, the Aero1.  This plane is not a new design though, it is just a retrofitted single seat aerobatic flyer. It Might not take off and land vertically like the (VTOL) that Uber wants, although that not what André was designing it for. He wants his planes to be realistic, not futuristic. Rather that producing airplanes, H55 plans to make electric propulsion systems. This way they could make the systems and then have people introduce them to there own airplanes. H55 says the reason that they are designing electric propulsion systems is "there Simple". No more checking oil, fuel levels, or preheating the engine just turn it on and fly. 

LINK

Question 1 - What are your feelings on electric flight? 

- I feel like electric flight is the future for all aviation. Its more efficient, better for the environment, and like H55 its simple.

Question 2 - Do you think that using old planes to test there theory is a good idea or bad and why?

- I think its a good idea, by doing this they are wasting less time making new planes which would leave more time to streamline there equipment.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that electric flight could be really beneficial to our environment because planes can really pollute the air and this could help keep our environment healthier. I think that they are doing a good thing by saving money and testing it on older planes that aren't used as much, because if their was an accident they wouldn't be wasting as much money.

• This reply was deleted.
    • The way planes work they glide, even when not propelled by the motor it will still fly. If there was to be a shortage or any kind of mishap a pilot should be able to recover the plane. The planes they use aren't beat up war planes. The planes they use are ones that have been kept in good condition and still fly so there shouldn't be much fixing.

• Electric flight seems much better for the environment; it would save energy as well as money. Perhaps in the future it might become even more probable and used by many other companies. By using older modeled planes, they’re saving even more money allowing them to continue to work on the plane’s technology. After they’ve finalized their equipment, they could begin to transfer their electric systems to new modeled planes.

• Agreed Less pollution. Its bad and good but i wouldn't want to because it could end up in a serious accident. 

• i was all for it until i thought that if you over work a battery it can explode. now thats not gonna happen a lot but it will happen at some point. cars its ok because you wont fall out of the sky and kill you. good. because is will lower the cost

• If the battery where to explode or any mishap with the electric propulsion system, the plane should still be able to glide to a stop rather than just falling out of the sky. 

• I think electric flight is a good idea because it's much better for the environment. I also think that using old planes is a good idea because, like you said, it doesn't cost as much nor take as much time.

• I think it's a good idea because it's would be better on the environment because it uses solar panels instead of gas and I also feel like using this idea would be cheaper so you could save more money.

• I like the electric flight because I feel like it would save a lot of money and would be much better for the environment. I think using old planes is a good idea because using newer planes is a lot more expensive. 

• I think this is a great idea because I could make it cheaper to fly and better for the enviroment. I feel using old planes is a good start so they can figure it out and then trying newer planes. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker