Drug lord and head of the Sinaloa cartel Joaquin Guzman or “El Chapo” is being sent to the United States for a hearing in Brooklyn. His hearing is this Friday the 20th. Some people say the extradition, moving of prisoners to the country where the crime was committed, may have been timed because President-Elect Donald Trump’s Inauguration is the same day and Mexican officials are still angry about Trump attempting to force them to pay for the wall.  

El Chapo has six current crimes in the United States such as selling billions of dollars worth in drugs and laundering money back to Mexico. Another reason El Chapo is being sent to America is because of his many escapes from Mexican prisons with the most recent one in 2015. While El Chapo will be in prison he will not be facing the death penalty.

website

Questions

1. Why do you think Mexican officials chose to move El Chapo’s hearing to the same day as Trumps inauguration?

1. How long do you think El Chapo’s prison sentence should be?

Answers

1. I think that they choose to me El Chapo’s hearing earlier because they wanted him out of their hands as soon as possible. That way if he escaped it wouldn’t be Mexico’s fault.

1. I think that El Chapo deserves a life sentence for all of the drug dealings, money laundering, and all of the other illegal activities he has done.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job overall but all of your comments were done on the same day. Had you gone in earlier and commented, your story would have been bumped to the top of the page and might have had even more comments.

• I think that Mexican officials didn't specifically pick Trumps inauguration day it was just the most convenient for everyone and it allowed for a peaceful travel because everyone would be focused on the inauguration so the transport wouldn't be attacked by anyone. I think that he should have the lifetime penalty because he has been at large for quiet some time and it would be good to finally put an end to this drug ring. Now this would be hard because of course people are gonna try and break him out just like in mexico but hopefully we will have a little tighter of security. 

• I think that they didn't purposely move the hearing to that day, they just wanted to get him out of their country and get him to the US as soon as possible. It just happened to be the same day that Trumps inauguration was. I also think that he should get the life sentence because he sold stuff illegally and also has been doing it for many years.

• I agree with both of your answers. I don't think they purposely moved the date of the hearing. Also I think he deserves life in prison.

• To be nice to Trump, kind of like a gift I think. He should be in prison for life no doubt. He has done enough stuff and ruined to deserve many life sentences. He will hopefully never see the light of day again without bars in the way.

• I agree that he should be in prison for life but I don't know why they should be nice to him.

• I think that they moved El Chapo's hearing just to make it more convenient and get it over with.  I think that El Chapo should recieve a sentence that represents all of his crimes. Hopefully with the time he spends in prison, he takes that time to think about his actions. I doubt that though.

• You are right in my opinion, I think that El Chapo's hearing was moved up for the same reasons.

• I think they just moved the day up, it might have purposely on inauguration day, but a lot of people make a big deal if something like that is on that day. Well they know he was involved with drugs and laundering money to Mexico, and he has been involved with 6 crimes, so make him have the death penalty. 

• I think that you are right with the inauguration deal and moving up the date. The death penalty is a little harsh even for El Chapo though.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker