Death penalty

The practice of the death penalty contradicts the right to life and the right not to be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment or treatment. Consensus is growing regarding the universal abolition of the death penalty. Some 111 countries have abolished or introduced a moratorium on the death penalty in law or practice. By 2021, in the United States, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a total of 27 states contemplated this type of punishment: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, South Carolina, North Carolina, South Dakota , Florida, and 19 others.

Crimes punishable by death penalty (considered in state legislation): Homicide, both people who killed their victim directly or indirectly (that is, they hired someone), rape, or trafficking large quantities of drugs, plane hijacking or in others, betrayal is also taken into account.

Some reasons to abolish the death penalty: It is irreversible and mistakes are made, it is usually used in unbiased justice systems, it does not deter crime, it is used as a political tool, it is discriminatory.

In addition to the consequences it has on people suffering from mental disorders, capital punishment has extremely worrying repercussions on the mental health of convicted people, their families and even their lawyers.

Most common methods of execution: beheading, hanging, lethal injection and death by firearm. 

Some arguments in favor of the death penalty mention that society has always used punishment to deter potential criminals from carrying out illegal actions. They also state that if some studies on deterrence are inconclusive, it is only because the death penalty death almost does not take place.

Questions:

Do you agree with the death penalty? Why yes or why not?

If a person with mental problems were sentenced to death, would you agree? Why yes or why not? 

Source 1 

Source 2

Source 3 

Source 4

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, it is very rude to decide for someone else's life, not really for the person, but to be correct.

• I think that the death penalty should be the last option for a punishment, because I do think people can change. Also If a person with mental problems were sentenced, I do not think that would be fair. There are many other alternative ways to deal with a person with mental problems so I would not agree.

• I agree, I also think that it should be taken as a last option in the event that they can make mistakes, the same with your opinion regarding the treatment of people with mental problems.

• I do like the idea of the death penalty, However I think that it could be considered unethical, Becuase a common practice is leathal enjection, many people could consider that creepy, and wierd. Forcing leathal drugs onto people who have done something. 

• I agree with the death penalty because thare are monsters like a child molesters or a terrorists so thay deserve death. a person with mental health probloms should be taken to a psychiatric ward.

• I dont really but if it something super extreme then maybe, but it does seem harsh and i would rather be in prison then to be killed. I think if you deserve death penalty then sure but if they dont then no. Also with someone who has mental issues they maybe cant control them as well but could go someone where they can get better. 

• I think I'm agree with the death penalty but only when it is really necessary, when the person that has the sentence to death really did a bad and sick crime(s), I think I am agree with that because for some crimes that people do, it's not enough to spend the rest of their life in prison, I know that the jail/prison is so bad, but, as I said, for me and for many people it's not enough be locked up in prison, when the person perhaps killed someone in a very bad/sick way for no reason or just for fun. I think it would depend a lot on the level of mental problem of the person who committed the crime.

• I think that if the person is sentenced to death, he would not really pay his punishment as he deserves, I mean, from this point of view, that person would not really suffer as he made his victims and relatives of his victims suffer, but it would not be fair either. He would remain in jail and probably come out in a few years as if nothing had happened, but good point.

• Yes I agree with the death penalty because if you kill sumbody or multiple people you deserve to have the same done back. If somebody kills somebody else as long as it wasn't for self-defense then they deserve to be killed because they killed someone else. Even if they say there mental to insane then why have them risking other people lives. 

• At some point I do agree with death penalty, but it is different depending on the case. People who deserve it should get it, people who do not... should not. It really depends on the situation. I would agree only if the person cannot be changed after getting help. They should be able to get help to heal, but if that does not work and they are considered dangerous, they should be sentenced.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker