Daylight Saving Time: is it Necessary

Daylight saving time is the process of moving the time forward one hour on the second Sunday of March. Then, nearly eight months later, on the first Sunday of November, the time is set back an hour. This process has always been used to get more use out of natural sunlight each day, however, its history is quite complex. Summarily, Benjamin Franklin suggested this practice in 1784 to limit the usage of candles. Daylight saving time became more popular during World War I to save fuel, eventually spreading throughout the world.

There are many advantages to daylight saving time. One of the greatest advantages is the environmental benefit which has many contributing factors. Firstly, daylight saving time extends evening daylight, consequently, less electricity is used for light. Another benefit is a lower rate of car accidents due to sunlight during later hours of the day. Lastly, because of daylight saving time, people are more active in the evening which allows for more spending. Overall, setting clocks back and forward one hour helps our world in many ways which are often overlooked when viewed at face value.

Daylight saving time also has many disadvantages which should be considered. The first and most obvious is a lack of sleep as individuals adjust to new schedules. A difference of one hour can initially create difficulties falling asleep and waking up which is quite inconvenient. This inconvenience is also relevant for certain industries, especially those who work outdoors. To summarize, daylight saving creates disadvantages that are not extreme, yet they affect almost everyone.

Many contrasting factors make it difficult to decide whether we should have daylight saving time. I believe we should continue to implement this practice in our lives for numerous reasons. The first of which is the severity of the advantages. For example, daylight saving time prevents car accidents which saves lives. The final reason I support daylight saving time is the difficulty of removing a practice which has lasted for so long.

Do you think daylight saving time is necessary?

Should we continue to use daylight saving time?

What other problems does daylight saving time create?

https://www.colorado.edu/coloradan/2022/11/07/history-daylight-saving-time 

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/circadian-rhythm/daylight-saving-time#:~:text=However%2C%20experts%20suggest%20that%20long,ends%20and%20Standard%20Time%20begins.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't really know if daylight savings time is necessary because it doesn't really affect my life other than it being darker in the evenings. I think we should keep using it because it is what we are used to even if it can sometimes mess with our sleeping schedueles. 

• I also feel that daylight saving time does not affect my life very seriously, and I also agree that it would be easy to continue using it because we have for so long. Although I believe this, I think we should not determine the usage of daylight saving time based upon what is easiest.

• I do not think that daylight saving time is needed. It started because America was a farming country and needed more light to work. We have more technology now and don't need daylight saving time. Daylight saving time just makes it darker sooner and makes night driving more dangerous.

• I do agree that the importance of daylight saving time decreases as modern technology developes. I also understand the thought that daylight saving time makes night driving more dangerous, however, no matter what system we use, problems will continue.

• I understand why people wanted daylight savings time to happen back then but I don't see it affecting our lives as it used to. Daylight savings was a time to conserve daylight so we didn't use up as many resources but with modern technology now I don't see it being as beneficial as it may have been. 

• It's hard to say whether our life would change much without daylight savings, so I can't quite decide if it is necessary. Daylight savings changes are on of those things that doesn't affect my life too much, and I don't think about it too often until it actually happens. It always takes some adjusting to but it never derails my schedule completely.

• I agree with most of what you are saying, especially that I do not think much about daylight saving time until it takes place. After reading your reply I am interested in how my schedule and activities would change if the use of daylight saving time changed. 

• I believe daylight saving is a very important practice and we should not get rid of it. Daylight saving time helps everyone out and makes days feel longer. I am not I huge fan of dark cold nights so enjoy pushing nights back and having more daylight.

• It is necessary, because of many sportsin the summer being played, and many outdoor gatherings to allow people to have more time outside. We should continue it because I enjoy being out later in the day, and getting dark early makes nights feel long. One problem daylights savings time creates is lack of sleep.

• I think daylight savings should continue to exist as it does prove useful, but some changes should be made to it. I believe it would be better if we slowly adjusted our clocks instead of going back and forth an entire hour in one day.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker