Child Labor Laws

Child labor laws started in 1938. However the first time that child labor laws were brought up was in 1813. Child labor laws were first created too not put kids health at risk. Child labor laws are in place too keep kids safe and make sure they get a good education. In the U.S. these laws were put into place to stop businesses from having young kids work for them. The child labor law was named The Fair Labor Standards Act. This law sets the minimum age for work at 14 and limits the number of hours kids can work so many hours a week and depending if school is in session or not in session the hours vary. During school hours 14 and 15 year olds can only work 28 hrs a week and not before 7 am or after 9pm. 14 and 15 year olds during summer can work 40 hrs a week. 

These laws weren’t made just for how many hours kids can work. They also control what you can and can’t do during your job. Under the age of 18 you’re not allowed to operate heavy machinery. 14 and 15 year olds are not allowed to operate anything hotter than 140 degrees. Each state can have their own rules but still have too follow by the federal laws. 

The last time the child labor laws was updated was on May 18th, 2016. It set overtime regulations. 

It's not just about rules and regulations. It's about protecting kids. By making sure kids aren't overworked and are able too do school work, child labor laws help them get better education but still teaching them about having jobs. By having a job when you're a teenager it prepares you for the future. 

I think child labor laws are good. It provides safety and making sure we aren’t overworked with work and still having too do school work. But by having a job now it just prepares me for the job I get in the future. 

Do you think child labor laws are good?

Do you have a job? 

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/child-labor#:~:text=The%20federal%20child%20labor%20provisions,provisions%20also%20provide%20limited%20exemptions

https://www.marquette.edu/cgi-bin/cuap/db.cgi?uid=default&ID=6440&view=Search&mh=1#:~:text=This%20lack%20of%20education%20brought,reading%2C%20writing%2C%20and%20arithmetic

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the new child labor laws are way better than the old ones. I do have a job.

• I think they are good but for some people, they are not super helpful. Some students can work overtime and still have time for schoolwork. Some students can work, play sports, and do schoolwork. I have a job. Some people want to put in overtime hours as students but when you look at the laws they are put in place to give students rest and time to do more than what they have to do as adults.

• I think that people should be able to work if they want to. I wish I could have worked when i was younger making your own money is nice when your parents wont buy you stufff. have a job also can make kids more meture but it might be a problum if there mom or dad cant take them.

• I think some child labor laws are good but I also think that kids should be able to work if they are willing to because then the can make money and learn a little bit about working. Yes I have a job I work for my dad on our family farm.

• Yes I think Child Labor Laws are very good because it helps the kids do more school work than working in a job and their saftey. I don't have a job yet.

• I dont think child labor laws are good  because they allow kids to do hardcore labor under minimal supervision and they are in danger and can ruin the rest of their lives all for what companies do not hire adults. 

• I think child labor laws are good to provide protection for children that want to get a job. I personally do not have a job yet i do hope to have a job in the future that i can earn money for myself. I also belive child labor laws also make sure children feel safe about working.

• Yes, I think that child labor laws are a good thing because they prevent the kids from working too much and becoming stressed over working and then having to go to school maybe being stressed. I do have a job, I work at Do It Best and Spark and Break Shop. 

• I agree with you I dont want to be overworked and stressed and worrying about school and homework and add work on top of it

• i think that child labor laws are good because it keeps children from working too much and making sure they get a good education. I think that kids should be able to feel safe and protected when working. Yes, I have a job at Scooters.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker