Child Labor Laws

Child labor laws started in 1938. However the first time that child labor laws were brought up was in 1813. Child labor laws were first created too not put kids health at risk. Child labor laws are in place too keep kids safe and make sure they get a good education. In the U.S. these laws were put into place to stop businesses from having young kids work for them. The child labor law was named The Fair Labor Standards Act. This law sets the minimum age for work at 14 and limits the number of hours kids can work so many hours a week and depending if school is in session or not in session the hours vary. During school hours 14 and 15 year olds can only work 28 hrs a week and not before 7 am or after 9pm. 14 and 15 year olds during summer can work 40 hrs a week. 

These laws weren’t made just for how many hours kids can work. They also control what you can and can’t do during your job. Under the age of 18 you’re not allowed to operate heavy machinery. 14 and 15 year olds are not allowed to operate anything hotter than 140 degrees. Each state can have their own rules but still have too follow by the federal laws. 

The last time the child labor laws was updated was on May 18th, 2016. It set overtime regulations. 

It's not just about rules and regulations. It's about protecting kids. By making sure kids aren't overworked and are able too do school work, child labor laws help them get better education but still teaching them about having jobs. By having a job when you're a teenager it prepares you for the future. 

I think child labor laws are good. It provides safety and making sure we aren’t overworked with work and still having too do school work. But by having a job now it just prepares me for the job I get in the future. 

Do you think child labor laws are good?

Do you have a job? 

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/child-labor#:~:text=The%20federal%20child%20labor%20provisions,provisions%20also%20provide%20limited%20exemptions

https://www.marquette.edu/cgi-bin/cuap/db.cgi?uid=default&ID=6440&view=Search&mh=1#:~:text=This%20lack%20of%20education%20brought,reading%2C%20writing%2C%20and%20arithmetic

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think child labor laws are good, I think its important for kids and teens to have safety and a certain amount of work hours. Too much work and unsafety can be dangerous for their work place and health. I don't have a job and I'm okay with it because I'm able to have more free time.

• I do not think children should be able to work evn if it was for money untill they are sixteen years old. I do think that if your parents own a business you can work for their company for whatever pay you guys disscuss. I work with me dad over summer break as a carpenter.

• it depends i think if someone is old enough to work they should be ably to decide how much they want to work, i do thave a job and work avarage hours.

• I Think child labor laws are good because it gives kids a chance to work and make money for stuff they need or want and it also alows them to know how hard woring is. Yes I have a job at the Harlan Vet Clinic. 

• I think child labor laws are good and necessary. It allows kids to work, but then stops them at a certainpoint, so they don't get worn out too bad. Some of the rules may be a bit excessive, but I think they're good. I do have a job as a lifeguard.

• I do think child labor laws are good because with school kids can be stressed out and having to work large hours wouldn't help with creating less stress it would just create more stress. They make these laws so kids don't overwork, have some free time, and just to be kids and enjoy their life. I do have a job at Subway.

• Child labor laws are good because it allows kids to work without feeling overworked or stressed out with sports, school and work. These laws allowed student to feel safe while still having something to fill up their free time. 

• I definitely like child labor laws are good, because it allows kids to get a feel for working without being overworked with work, sports, and school. It also just overall keeps kids who work safe. I have a job at Elm Crest right now and I work in a corn field during the summer.

• Laws on child labor is incredibly important to make sure children aren't exploited at a young age. I personally believe we shouldn't live in a world where people under the age of 17 feel required to join a career just so they can have a liveable life. I think the abilty of choice is a right everyone should have, but that still includes minors who actually want to work.

• I think that child labor laws are good to an extent. It's good that they are concerned about the safety of the kids, but it can sometimes be a bit of an overkill.  Now some states are starting to relax the rules, like how Iowa is letting 14-year-olds work in meat factories and with heavy machinery. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker