Canadian Truckers Gather to Protest Covid Mandates

In Canada there are many truckers that gathered and are doing what is called the Freedom Convoy. They are all gathering together and driving to the Capitol of Canada and said they are not leaving until all vaccine mandates are lifted. It statrted out as only truckers, but many other people have joined the convoy along the way. The Convoy started in the British-Columbia provence and kept picking up people along the way.

Ottowa, the Capitol of Canada, is now full of people. The protests have stayed mostly peaceful. There have been very few reports of people becoming violent. Most of the protesters are just sitting in their vehicles in the road or they are sitting in the front lawn of the Parliment. Most of the people not in trucks are holding up signs that say things anti-government, upside down canadian flags, or a few flags with swastikas on them. The main reason these truckers are protesting is because if they go into the United States, they have to show proof of vaccination before going back into Canada, which they feel is against their constitutional rights. 

The truckers are hoping that at some point the government will give in because of shortages at stores, which is statring to happen. Many of them have said they will not leave until vaccine mandates are lifted. They were making quite a bit of money on Go Fund Me to help cover some food and fuel costs. There was 6.8 million U.S. dollars raised on their Go Fund Me before it was shut down because the protests were apparently against their guidelines. Nobody, including the truckers, really don't know how long they will stay or if/when the government will give in and lift the mandates.

In my opinion they have a very good point. Government mandates generally are not a good idea when it comes to things like the Covid vaccine. I think they are there for a good reason and have a valid point that mandating the covid vaccine is against their constitution. I personally don't want to get vaccinated, so I can see where they are coming from. There are rumors that something similar could happen in the United States but I dont think it will.

Do you think the Truckers have a good point?

Do you think there will be something similar to this in the United States?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/29/world/americas/canada-trucker-protest.html

https://www.foxnews.com/world/ottawa-mayor-declares-state-emergency-police-threaten-arrests-bringing-gas-freedom-convoy

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and good summary Braxton! I do think you could have replied back to student comments a ew more times.

• The truckers definitely do not have a good point. Anti vaxxers and Vaccine hesitants need to listen to the experts, not their mom's racist facebook group. There has been something similar in the unided states like the large protests against mask mandates. The MMR vaccine is mandedet for public schoolong and nobody has wined about that. It was only when our government screwed up and mad covid and the existence thereof a political topic. Diseases should not be political.

• I think they have a great point because it should be their choice on what they are going to put in their body. I think that as long as they keep doing things peacefully that everything is okay with what they are doing. I don't think will happen in the U.S. because people won't stand for it.

• I totally get why truckers are angry. Reasoning is, is because they are in there own company or personal truck and they are making them get vaccinated which is stuipd. Truckers deserve to have a choice.

• I do understand why the truckers are mad and well they probably should be. And it may or may not turn into the events that had happened in the past in the United States. But it is not for as big of a reason so I don't think it will become as bad as it was.

• I understand why the truckers are mad at their government. But, events similar to this, like the January 6th riots, show how quickly peacefully gather can turn to violent up roar. The chances of this happening are even more likey with people carrying around flags with swastikas. I personally could see some sort of protesting at the capitol about covid mandates, but because of previous "peaceful protest" this would most likely be put to a stop before it could reach the level in Canada.

• Yes, I think that if the truckers feel that they don't want to get the vaccinne then it shouldn't be a forced thing.  I think that it will be hard to mandate the vaccination, but they may push it harshly on people, I think overall it should not be forced

• I think that the government should lift the covid vaccination mandate. People should not have to get the vaccination if they don’t want to. The Truckers should have their own right to choose whether or not they get vaccintaed. It is not fair. We the people should not have to get the vaccination if we don’t want to.  The truckers should not have to spend the time waiting for the vaccination mandate to be lifted. Truckers should be able to drive without vaccinations.

• I think they have a good reason because they do not go to places that much but or at least on the job and if they do just have them wear a mask. If they make the drivers get the vaccine then I think people will start to get mad.

• I think the truckers have a good point because most of the time they spend driving alone. it should be up to every one to make their own decision on wether or not they get the vaccine.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker