Can Animal Testing be Justified?

Animal testing has been around for a while and is used by many industries. Animal testing is a procedure performed on an animal to test whether or not a product is safe to use for humans. Techniques used by labs to test a product are force-feeding, injecting into muscles, bloodstream, or abdomen, or inhalation. Products that may be tested include medicines, chemicals, cosmetic products, cleaning products, or food additives. Commonly, animals like rats, mice, bunnies, hamsters, fish, cats, or even dogs are tested on. Some industries even commit to animal breeding in order to obtain their desired animal to test on. 

Many people are against animal testing for many reasons; one being that animals are abused during the process. They are injured, physically restrained, and injected or fed chemicals that could harm or possibly kill them. It is estimated that over 115 million animals worldwide are used for testing each year, meaning 115 million animals each year are injured or killed in labs. Even if a chemical or product does not harm the animal, they are most likely still killed when the testing process is over. Another reason people cannot justify this is that animal testing is found to not even be useful, as animals don't have the same reaction to some products as humans would. Nine out of ten candidate medicines found to be safe and effective during animal testing did not have the same reaction when given to humans. This not only harms animals but puts humans in these trials at risk. There have been better and even more accurate alternatives to test products rather than animal testing.

Although it is harmful to animals, some people are still for animal testing, as this is supposed to find out if it is safe for humans or not. It has been around for years, and has never been a huge issue, so why bring it up now?

Some well-known products that test on animals include Axe, Bath and Body Works, Blistex, Clavin Klein, CeraVe, Clorox, Degree, Crest, Dior, Old Spice, MAC, Maybelline, Tide, VS, and many more. 

Are you for or against animal testing?

Would whether or not a brand tests on animals affect whether you would use it or not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Scientists have advanced and found ways to test on human cells that grow in labs. Unfortunately, there is not really a way to test an animal with respect. It is either they test on and harm the animal, or they don't. 

• I agree that it is not right to test things on animals but if we did not test things on animals then how are we going to know if the product is safe? No one wants to test on humans either. If the products that I use often are tested on animals I would still use the product.

• I'm definitley against animal testing because I think that we already have the necessary knowledge to not  have to use that sort of testing anymore I think that the practice of testing on animals is outdated and isn't needed anymore.

• Animal testing is definitely not a good thing to practice, but is also necessary in making new products. I think it should be traded in for something else to ensure products are safe that keep animals and humans both safe. Products that are tested on animals doesn't affect whether I use it or not.

• I believe that animal testing is terrible and not right in anyway. I think that some people do not realize what really happens during animal testing. It is forced onto this animals and obviously they aren't able to put up a fight against the testers. even if surviving the testing 98% of animals are killeda at the end. I am fully agaisnt animal testing. Many times, my family and I check the labels and look at some research to see if it is animal tested or not. We try not to support business who test on animals brutally.

• I agree that animal testing is not right and people don't realize how brutal it is. I think it is great that your family checks on stuff like this and does not support if that is the case. 

• I think animal testing is an awful thing, but I also realize that it's necessary to test on them to ensure products are safe for human use/consumption. I think that something should be done to find an alternative that wouldn't harm animals. Personally, the use of animal testing wouldn't affect the products I buy.

• I am personally against animal testing because I think its inhuman.  But I understand it can be beneficial to humans since animals and humans are closley related.  Even though I am against animal testing whether or not a brand does animal testing would not effect if I buy a product or not.

• I am also against animal testing because of how harsh it is but I don't think it would affect what I buy either. It is hard to avoid good products that don't test on animals. 

• I am against animal testing. I dont beleive that there should be animal testing because most of the testing is unecessary or unhelpful towards what they are testing. I probably would not buy from a brand that does animal testing.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker