I think we can all agree that Biden has not been the best president in our country's history, but there are good things that he has done. Biden recently signed a bill called the "Respect for Marriage Act," to ensure that LGBTQ+ couples are protected. I feel that this is extremely important, and ensures that couples won't be split apart, easily at least. 

"This act provides statutory authority for same-sex and interracial marriages. Specifically, the act replaces provisions that define, for purposes of federal law, marriage as between a man and a woman and spouse as a person of the opposite sex with provisions that recognize any marriage between two individuals that is valid under state law," (S1).

The whole point of the bill is to have the state government view homosexual and interracial marriages as valid. All marriages in all 50 states have to be recognized by each state.

"The bill’s sponsors worked with their Senate colleagues and stakeholders to develop an amendment to the House-passed bill to confirm that the bill will not lead to the recognition of polygamous unions and has no negative impact on religious liberty and conscience protections," (S2). Iowa senator Joni Ernst voted for the Act, while senator Grassley opposed it. 

Obergefell v. Hodges is the bill that was passed in 2015 to legalize gay marriage. 

"Pre-Obergefell laws prohibiting same-sex marriage would be enforceable if the decision is reversed. Prohibited or likely prohibited (32), Allowed or likely allowed (19)." Iowa is a part of the 19 that before it was passed, and likely if it were to be abolished, would allow gay marriage to still take place. 

I personally agree with both of these bills. I believe that gay marriage and interracial marriage should be treated like any other marriage. It shouldn't matter who you marry, love is love. 

Do you believe in gay marriage?

Do you believe in interracial marriage?

What do you think about these bills?

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Emily! +5 for new topic

• I don't believe in gay marriage because it goes against my beliefs. I think that marriage between a man and a women is right and that their color shouldn't  matter, so I think it is important that this bill protects interracial marriage. 

• I agree with the interracial part, but not the gay marriage part. The US government is a democracy and shouldn't make any laws based on anything in the Bible, Torah, Quran, etc. Gay people just want to love who they love. 

• I think that anyone should have the right to marry whomever they want to. Gay marriage isn't a problem; anyone who has a problem with it should be ashamed of themselves. I don't think they should charge more for gay marriage, and it should be treated as any other marriage.

• I think that anyone should marry who they want. Same sex marriage is just another marriage in my opinion. Everyone deserves to be happy with who they marry. The same with interracial marriage they are just two people who love eachother and want to spend the rest of their lives together. It shouldn't matter. You love who you love and you can't help who you fall in love with.

• I think that people should be able to marry whoever they want. It isn't my business so why would I care about who other people like or want to marry. I also think that people should marry anyone no matter their religion, skin color, or prefrences. 

• Exactly. People just need to let others love who they want. Gay people are not new, they just haven't been documented in history. I don't get why people can't just mind their own business and let people love who they love. 

• All marriage between two healthy willing adults is valid and should continue to be valid in America. Just recently those who are against marriage for all tried to overturn Obergefell v. Hodges and thankfully that did not happen. I have always been under the opinion that gay marriage is the same exact thing as straight marriage and as long as it isn't hurting anyone it shouldn't be stopped. I am very glad that all marriage is protected fully and cannot be changed in this day and age. 

• I have to agree with the bills, i am proud that our president did something to protect the people in the gay community. I personally beliweve that two who love peopple not matter the color or sexual preferance should not matter to anyone but the couples in the realtionshipo. People who love differantly shouldnt be frowned uponm and not ne allowed to marry. I think the bills are something should of been done years ago. I honestly have to say why does it matter you race, sexual choice in a partner, everyone should entitlted to marry who they choose. I support the bills 100 percent. I support gay marriage and interracial marrige, they are hapopy let them be happy.

• I completely agree. They are just trying to love who they love, and that is nobody's business. They aren't doing anything bad, they are just loving each other. It is not a big deal at all. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker