Area 51

Area 51 is located near Groom Lake Nevada and is a top-secret U.S. Air Force facility. It contains the Nevada Test and Training Range which is considered a part of Edwards Air Force Base in California. The location of the facility was chosen by the C.I.A. in 1955 as a place to test spy planes. The government did not acknowledge the existence of Area 51 until 2013 when C.I.A. released documents, under The Freedom of Information Act, about the U-2 spy aircraft and the testing site.

The public is not allowed in Area 51. It is under 24-hour surveillance and there are signs stating deadly force can be used. The government considers it a Military Operating Base and what happens there is a secret. Most employees are flown into the base on unmarked planes and they must have security clearance to work there. Up until 2018, satellite images of the base were restricted and currently, no aircraft is allowed to fly over the area.

Area 51 is well known for its conspiracy theories of UFOs and aliens. It has been made famous in movies. People have been reporting sites of weird lights and UFOs at or near Area 51 since it was built. Even today it is a popular place for UFO believers to visit. In 1989 a man named Robert Lazar stated that he was an employee at the facility and worked on alien spacecraft technology and saw autopsy photos of an alien. He was later discovered to be lying. The government denies that they are testing alien spacecraft at Area 51.

I think that the government could definitely be working on Unidentified Flying objects. I don't know if they have aliens, but they are up to something at Area 51. The problem is that they didn't even acknowledge the training facility for over 50 years while people were reporting strange flying objects the whole time. I know the government cannot release all its secrets, but if there are UFOs, we should enclose the right to know. And that just feeds into the conspiracy.

Sources

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-is-known-and-not-known-about-area-51

https://www.space.com/area-51-what-is-it

https://www.military.com/base-guide/area-51

https://www.britannica.com/video/212132/Area-51-military-air-force-base-alien-video

Questions

Do you believe in alien UFOs?

Do you think the government should allow the public to visit Area 51? Why or why not?

Should the government release all the information it has on UFO's to the public? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice)even if someone in the class beat you to it bu an hour or so!) and really well done Henry!

• I dont believe in alien UFOs mostly for the reason that there isnt enough valid evidence. I think its okay for the government to keep area 51 closed from public as its a reaserch center. I do think the government should reasese at least some information on UFOs if it has any.

• I believe in Alien Ufos because I think in Area 51 there are aliens and I think some of the spottings are true and these weird occurrences don't just happen out of nowhere there is a reason. I don't think the government should allow people to area 51 because I think the whole world/country would change for the worse.

• I don't believe in alien UFOs because I think we would know more about them if they were real. I think that big of a discovery would be very public, and on the news for everyone to know. I think the public should not be allowed to visit Area 51 because if they are hiding something, they are obviously hiding it for a reason. I think the government should tell us what they know about the UFOs because we should know what is going on in our country. 

• I don't believe in alien UFOs and that includes anything extraterrestrial. I think that they should let the public to visit Area 51 but not freely, they should make part of it a museum so they can see some of the things they have tested. I don't think they should release all the info because it could be very confidential and if other countries received it it could be bad.

• I dont believe in alien UFOs along with aliens in general. I think the government should do whats best for the country. And if thats keeping people away, thats what needs to happen. I dont think that information should be released. If all the info the governemnt got released we would be screwed.

• I agree with you that there could be trouble if the government released all the information they had, but they could at least admit if they have alien spaceships or at lease admit that they exist. 

• I do not think that there are alien UFO's, I think that it is just a conspiracy story that someone made up to make a commotion. I don't think that there is a reason for the government allowing the public to visit Area 51, if no one is supposed to trespass, it must be for a reason.

• I think the government should allow people to vist Area 51 becuase it sounds pretty cool but but there would be people that would be dumb. If the governement allowed the public to vist Area 51 how would people get there it's in the middle of the deserst.

• Thats a good question.  I don't know how they would get there in the first place. But it would be a cool place to visit.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker