Are single-gender school more beneficial today?

Are single-gender schools more beneficial for students?

The National Coalition of Girls’ Schools and National Coalition of Boys’ Schools have done studies on how more students of single gender schools have a higher satisfaction of graduating students. The Seattle times say that more single gender students explore more “identity” and have more courage to freely express themselves. Boys tend to be more kind, collaborative, and appreciative. While studies show, that girls will be willing to take more risk and engage in more school based activities. 

Coed schools (boy and girls school) will offer more diversity. This will help with being able to adapt to different environments and other situations. It will also, make a huge difference in communication skills being able to talk to the opposing gender. In situations with college and work environments, he or she will already be exposed more then students from single-gender schools. The coed students will not have as much fear talking to the opposite gender.

In my opinion I believe that students should be put with the opposing gender. Just for the fact that you may not have as much experience with social skills with the opposite gender. But, I feel like students of single gender schools would be more open to expressing themselves with their classmates. And have more of the learning distractions outlawed. 

Do you think that students should be allowed to choose between Coed schools and single-gender schools? 

Do you think that single-gender schools would be more effective in the learning aspect?

Which school would you choose to go to?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I could agree with that. kids having the say in whether they want to go to a single-gender school or not should be there choice mostly.

• I think the student should get to choose what they want to be in. Personally I think opposing gender schools are better. I feel that an all girls school would be scary, too many girls in one place. I think it might be the same with learning in both types of schools.

• I believe any student has a right to choose between a coed school or a single-gender school. Both schools provide their students with life skills and a learning environment. I think that if you chose where you learn it would be effective for you, however, that might not be the same for other people. I would go to a coed school since I have had no problems and I have been around the same people since I was young. 

• I totally agree some people could just learn in different ways and that could be single gender school or coed school and much other ways.

• In my opinion students should be able to choose between Coed adn single-gender schools. I think that single-gender schools whouldn't be more effective in learning than Coed schools, it doesn't depend in the gender, it depends more in the behaviour the students have. I would definitely choose to a Coed school because I think life in the future is going to be like that so people should be prepared to work with both gender people. 

• i genuinly wish that i went to like a boys prep school or somthing like that so i could learn two ways how to interact with others of mi own gender and to learn acedemically 

see that im not very fond of either genders growing as a dude in a co-ed all my life i see no efficiency differince other than the uniforms cost and others like that

• I think that students should be able to choose, after all, it will be their learning experiance, not their parents or teachers. I think that each has pro and con, and there will be drama no matter what type you go to. I think that the students who went to single-gender schools could get distracted when they are adults, because they will be exposed to the opposite gender. I personally would go to public because there aren't as many expenses, and there is more diverse groups, but someone else might feel differently.

• I don't think that single-gender schools help any better than normal schools. I think that single-gender schools don't help with people's futures. In the future people will socialize with the other gender. I do think that students should have the option to choose between co-ed school and single-gender schools.

• Yeah I think students should be able to choose. Because it's basically 12 years of their life. They should choose where they want to go to school. I don't think the learning aspect matters and that it would be more effective. At the end of the day it's up to the student to how well they want to learn. 

• I don't think it necessarilly matters where people go becuase I know people that went to all boys schools and are very successful today. I do think coed schools definitely help with social skills and what not and it is fun when girls support boys sports, clubs, etc. and when boys support them as well.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker