Are Child Marriages Justified?

I think that most people know about child marriages or at least have an idea of what they are.... But just in case some people don't know what I’m talking about,here’s some back story. A child marriage refersto any formal or informal union beteween a child ( anyone under the age of 18)And an adult or sometimes even another child. Child marriages rob young boys/girls of their innocence and childhood. 

There have been many cases of child marriages even here in the U.S... and it's not even between a child and another child it has been between a CHILD and an ADULT.  Either way, here are a few examples. Back in the 2000s some Tennessee 10-year-old girls married men that were  24, 25, and 31. Later on, an 11-year-old boy married a 27-year-old woman.

In my opinion that just isn’t right. Like if they wanted to marry that badly then maybe they should have waited until the kids were legal adults. In the end, I think that we can agree that not only is child marriage wrong but it aslo ruins a childs innocence/childhood.

What do you think about child marriage?

What age do you think is reasonable for someone to marry?

What are your thoughts on the marriages I mentioned that occurred in Tennessee? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

https://www.unicef.org/protection/child-marriage

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Lineth! You did a great job replying to students! I do think your summary could be a bit longer.

• I believe child marriage is not right, under any circumstance. It doesn't matter if both parties agreed to the marraige, it shouldn't be happening either way. I feel that the right age to marry varies from person to person. If someone is mature enough, has known their significant other long enough, and understands the hardships that come with marraige, then they should be able to marry as long as both are adults. I also think that the Tennessee thing is disgusting.  A grown adult marrying a child is wrong in every way.

• I don't think children should get married. They should not be forced to marry someone. When someone marries someone, they want them to really mean it. I think you have to be 18 or older to get married. I think that is just very weird
  • Child marriage is not right I think as marriage is 2 people joining together to build a life and family and most children could not sustiain themselves leaglly under the age of 18 especailly not with a S/O

• Yes, I agree with you. No child should have to worry about marriage. Because marriage is a very important thing and its a huge commitment. And it also has to be taken seriously.

• I think a reasonable age for people to get married is around the age of 23, 24 is what I would allow to be the youngest that people can get married I also belive that its ok to get married young but like not to young yea know but yeah I think that you should be 23 to 24 to be married.

• I personally belive that child marriage is not a good thing because just listen to yourself say it child marriage does that sound  good to you I dont think so. it is bad becaue they are literally children they cant really do anyting. I just dont get people who think that its ok.

• I don't think child marriages should be allowed because like you said, getting married as a child can ruin your childhood and your innocence. I think to get married you should at least be 18 and above because then you are a legal adult. I think it is wrong that children are marrying people who are above 18 when they are still a minor.

• Exactly! Their childhood is very important and they should not have to worry about marriage until they are fully grown. Yes, I also agree that 18 and above is a reasonable age to get married at.

• I do not think that children should get married. They shouldnt be forced to marry someone. When someone marrys someone they want them to mean it. I think you should have to be at least 18 to get married. I dont think they should of got married it is kinda gross.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker