Are Barbie's A Good Toy For Children?

Barbie's are changing the way girls look at themselves.

When growing up, I always remember playing with my Barbie dolls and always wanting the latest Barbie, or even her latest outfit. Once I learned that there were barbie movies I was so excited. But what goes on when we look/ play with the barbies and how has it changed our perspective? Let's dive in
Studies show that 6-9-year-olds play with Barbies the most. When given 2 Barbie's the children showed that they were more likely to want to be skinner in life than those who were given proportional dolls. In fact, given Barbie's proportions ( small feet, tiny waist, and large chest), barbie would have to walk on all fours if she was in real life. Most children don't understand though. They want to be pretty like barbie and be skinny. The perfect picture, in their eyes at least. In 2016 is finally when they have all-inclusive Barbie's.
        Although they now have all-inclusive Barbie's has the damage already been done? The teens who used to play with Barbie's before they were inclusive are now on social media. Social media tells women, to wear makeup, but not too much, you put it on, and all of a sudden you should feel okay without Makeup. They tell us that we are asking for it, just because guys can't keep it to themselves, they tell us to change ourselves, little by little until finally, you are nothing but a picture-perfect version, they feel, but then they find something else to change.
        Are we setting up our future like this? Do we want our younger generation to endure what we had to? I believe that Barbie's should be more proportional, that way it doesn't shape what the younger generation sees as ok in their eyes.

Do you think that playing with Barbie's has an impact on children?

Did you ever play with Barbie's?

Do you think that they are perceived as perfect to younger children?

Sources
https://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/barbies-may-irreparably-alter-how-young-girls-perceive-the-ideal-body/news-story/c0dbeef402493226c3aeecc067ccf014

AOh14Ggq5awMGUx9_biLvO2k5QUoJbWwnzFNY3c3g1AaUg=s40
ReplyForward

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the kids do not know or think of stuff like but some kids might think i need to look like this but that would happen when they are older. So I just think that it does not affect the younger kids but it has effects on older kids. And yes when I was a kid I played with Barbies.

• I think that dosen't impact kids that much. If kids are worrieing about how they look that young something is wrong. The barbie is not what people should strive to look like people should just strive to do there best all the time and not worry about what others think. 

• I feel like this possibly could have a negative impact on young girls. I don't have any personal experience of this but I could definately see girls start to feel like they should look like that. I could see this causing many different mental and physical issues, such as depression, eating dissorders, or many others.

• I do not think that kids playing with barbies has an impact on children because they're children they're not actively thinking about the way that the dolls body is shaped they just play with it. I've never played with barbies.

• I do not think that barbies have an impact on children into the future although barbie does have an unrealistic figure they are just toys. I think that when girls grow up it has just always been on social media to be skinny and pretty and to be perfect but I do not think that barbies have anything to do with the way people are.

• I used to play with barbies when I was little and I don't think it had any impact on me and I belive it doesn't have any impact of any children. Kids are too young to understand a perfect body image anyway so I don't think playing with barbies has any negative impact or any impact at all. 

• I personally do not think children who play with Barbie's have been impacted.  Yes, I did use to play with Barbie's when I was younger but they had no effect on me in that way because I wasn't even thinking like that then.  I think children just look at them as a toy not whether they are perfect or not.

• I don't think barbies have any effect on children, they are just little dolls. They aren't violent, some even teach social skills because at daycare many kids play with barbies together. I did not play with barbies dolls while younger, i just never found them cool or anything. I thought they were girl toys.

• Many would say that barbies are more for girls rather than boys. Yes, there are some boys who did play with them growing up, but that's because they wanted to.  I still believe that the original barbie pushed unrealistic beauty standards on kids.

• I do not think that playing with barbies has an impact on children, most children who play with barbies are too young to understand anyway. I played with barbies when I was younger and I don't think they affected my body image. I don't think younger kids think about them being "perfect". 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker